Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nuclear war has begun.. Malathion plus every week

Posted by elkski Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 9:59

well I planted my toms april 20th with water walls and things went ok. Some plants were out 18" above the walls and I think things are safe so I took off the Walls last week.
I noticed a few thrifts and so started the battle. Malathion plus and a super surfactant additive every 7 days.
Last year was my first thrift battle and they won. I had my first BLT by july 4th and then had such bad blossom drop that I had hardly any fruit set for 6-8 weeks. It took me 2 weeks to find out about thrifts and then I tried the wimpy worthless insecticidal soap for 3 weeks and then tried nuclear but I lost the best blossom set window. frost here in Sep. I also see little black flies with big wings this year.
Oh BTW I only have two raised beds with 8 plants each and couldn't rotate crops like you should do.

ShoulsI spray the ground and area around too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nuclear war has begun.. Malathion plus every week

• Posted by cbars z5b6a MO (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 10:24

Was not sure what you were talking about and the light bulb went on - THRIPS - not thrifts.

Malathion is the accepted pesticide. Be very careful and follow the directions very closely because Malathion is some bad stuff. I would not spray the ground or surrounding areas because the malathion will kill all that it touches like earthworms and bees. Spray only the affected plant or plants and do so only when there is presence of THRIPS.

Good luck,

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here