Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northernvirginiadi

HELP Please. Yellow spots on leaves.

Diane Clayton
16 years ago

Please see attached pictures. I'm relatively new--I searched the web to try to understand what is going on. My best guess is fusarium or early blight. Any help / suggestions most appreciated. I don't want to lose my plants but I'm afraid of it spreading to other tomatoes and other plants (noticed some yellow spots on beans this morning.)

I've planted tomatoes for several years with out any problems so this year I decided to start from seed. I used sterile seed starter mix and then transplanted outside. As seedlings I gave them dilute fish fertiziler weekly. Once outdoors, I sprayed with fish emulsion when the blossoms started appearing. The one plant that is most damaged is planted in a new bed. I added plenty of leaves and bagged compost to the soil, along with cottonseed meal and a very small amount of fish kelp. (I never did this before. I used to dig my compost directly into the garden and never bought bagged compost but after reading so much about soil structure and not tilling soil I decided on a layering approach. All my compost is in the bin. Hopefully it will be decayed enough next year so I won't need any bagged compost).

Two of the damaged plants had tomatos in the same area two years ago. The one other damaged plant is in a pot (same soil mix as for bed).

I water using drip irrigation -- giving the plants a good watering 1-2 times a week (again a new practice for me since being a member of the garden forum. I used to water with the hose daily. In an effort to save water and time, I moved to drip)

I planted Clear Pink Tomatoes, Heirloon Red Slicing, and Yellow Ruffled. I have no idea which plants are which. After transplanting, I lost track of what was what.

I'm sending leaf samples to the coop extension but that takes several weeks and I'm afraid of it spreading. Should I get rid of the plants or can they be salvaged. I'm starting to notice little spots on my healthier plants. I'm also worried if there is something in the soil. We had a late winter---i.e. 60-70 degree weather in January, but Feb was very cold.

Many, many thanks for the inputs. I worked too hard and don't want to lose the plants and more important, I don't want to harbor something that is going to damage future plantings.

Sorry for the long post--figured more info is better.

Again, thank you, thank you.

diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations