Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What creature is eating my tomatoes?

Posted by BurgeoningGardener GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 10:55

Hi fellow gardeners,
I am planting tomatoes in Savannah, GA for the first time, and I have managed to get beautiful, tall and wonderful tomato plants over 2 ft tall. The plants have started to bear and produced huge beefy tomatoes. However, something has been devouring my crop! The bites are fresh which leads me to believe this feast occurs in early morning. I suspect squirrels are the culprits but I am not certain
Could you please help me identify these creatures? Also, if you could provide any remedies to protect what is left of our crop, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here is a link to the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/WatsonLegacy/GardenWoes?authkey=Gv1sRgCNWFw4uA7aWk6wE#

Thank you!

Image link: What creature is eating my tomatoes? (31 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What creature is eating my tomatoes?

No sign of caterpillars or droppings and none of the leaves are eaten. Whatever it is eats the green tomatoes. I have tried sprinkling cayenne pepper on the tomatoes, tying them up with pantyhose and nothing is working at this point :(

o

I am having similar problems,
But here the varmint waits for the tomatoes to ripen.

I bought a granular repellant,
And used cayenne pepper.
Neither worked.
So yesterday I got 2 traps from the county.

I baited them with a ripe tomato.
Didn't get anything last night.

I'm really thinking the culprit(s)
Here are 'Possums.
I came on here looking to see if anyone had any ideas
As to how to get rid of them,
And saw your post.

I'll also looking for a more sure-fire bait for them.
To me, baiting with tomato made sense,
As that is what they were after.

I'll be watching this thread
To see what others think.

Rusty

o

The sharp raggedy edges of the damage look like bird damage. But I've not seen it that extensive previously.
Perhaps some one will comment about squirrel damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here