Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkski

Do I have spotted wilt?

elkski
17 years ago

I have 16 plants and they have been out for 6 weeks in wall of waters. almost al lthe plants and the ones most infected with this brwon spots were well out the tops of the waters of which I removed last week. I really dont know the exact time of this onslaught as I have been very busy. I think it is fairly recent as well as my thrip problem.. hmmm.

Image link:

Comments (8)

• elkski
    Original Author
    17 years ago

top of leaf pic... the brown spots go all the way through the leaf. It is worse on my 4th of july and sunsugar plant but many of them have it. It is at the top leaves as much as the bottom ones.

I cant see where to browse for a pic this time?? Can you only add a pic on the first post of a thread?\
    anyway the top is the same as the bottom.

• srburk
    17 years ago

Honestly, I have never seen wilt in person. The leaf you show doesn't look wilted and doesn't really look like the picture of spotted wilt in TAMU's tomato problem solver. Is that leaf representative of what the rest look like? Are the plants stunted or doing well? Since you say its on the top of some of the plants and you say you just removed the WoW...I'm thinking it looks like sunburn. Or insect damage.

I think you're still o.k. as far as growing goes. Good luck with the thrips (I hate those things.).

• elkski
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As far as the WOW goes. my plants were up a good 12-18" above them and so It shouldn't have had an effect on those leaves??
    Not really any wilt just these mottles brown leaves. Some plants have them nearly all over except the very new growth seems to be immune. I have seen these small black flies with big clear wings and some thrips. I haven't seen any more thrips since last fridays Malathion spraying but the flies seem tough. How come I alwys just through my maters in the ground and only had to worry about the big catapilliars? is the world that much more full of pests or am I just more picky?

Boy I do hate how this website and aLL THE BANNERS LAG MY PUTER SO BAD..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• srburk
    17 years ago

Sorry...I don't like the banners, either. Since they aren't pop-ups, I can't block them. Has it been particularly windy where you are? Is it at all possible you got some drift of another pesticide or fertilizer? It still looks like burn to me, although I've been wrong plenty of times.

As far as the flies, they lay eggs that hatch into leaf miners. There's not much I do about them (I garden organically because of my kids) except pick off the tunneled leaves and destroy. Unless the infestation is really bad, I don't consider miners a worry at all.

It seems to be that part of the year where the buggies just take over. One of the joys of tomato gardening. At least you are in Utah.....here in Texas I am just about done for the summer (plus I'm competing with ants, roaches, stinkbugs, caterpillars, etc., etc......). Good luck!

• jean001
    17 years ago

Not a disease or critter or herbicide. Instead, an environmental glitch, likely related to water imbalance earlier in the season.

• busy_bee_7tn
    17 years ago

TSWV looks like blackish ink spots have been splattered over the entire leaf of brand new growth. It also shows on the branches of the leaves presenting the spots.
    Bev

• elkski
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update:
    Things are looking better. I haven't seen a thrip since the first spray. The brown spots dont seem to be showing up on the new growth of which is vigorous.
    My problem could have been wind. we sure get a dry hot blow sometimes and we had a 2 day stretch near the right time. It could be water as I haven't hooked up to the sprinkler timer yet and water by hand every 2-5 days? In years past I used to let them dry out for 5 days or when they showed some wilt but you guys have me watering more regular. I also applied some garden fertilizer and maybe some got on the leaves?
    Maybe my neighbor had his yard sprayed? I will ask him.
    And we had a cool spring and then summer sun just sprung out and we had some near record hot 92 degree days in mid may.
    Most folks plant toms in mid may. I got these in april 20th with WOW. ITs funny to go see some folks gardens who have just planted seedlings... Last years crop was poor due to hardly any sets in July and early August due to thrips and my first case of severe blossom drop.

• jean001
    17 years ago

Yes, the "dry hot blow " was the likely cause. And that could be so even if the soil was adequately moist.

The reason? The roots couldnt keep up with the demaands of the tops.