Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WTF is this?????

Posted by buckscopa (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 11:38

I've seen MANY postings, this year, from all over the country, with the same symptoms: new growth is twisted and strangely curled....almost cancer/viral-like. In my case, it's my plants in containers, which had sheep manure added to them (too strong?). My plants in the ground (right next to them) are doing just fine (no manure added to inground plants). I've been growing tomatoes for over 30 years, the same way every year, so the manure is nothing new. But this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this happening. I've ripped out & replaced the affected plants, and the same thing happened. No herbicide was used on the property (and why would the ones right next to them be OK???). AND I've planted new ones in other pots, with no manure, and they are fine. It definately seems to be a soil issue, and the manure is the only common factor. My camera is dead, so I can't take more pic's, but here's an old one, from my last post. It's only gotten worse!

Image link: WTF is this????? (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WTF is this?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 15:35

Because it's only the tomatoes with manure, could be clopyralid contamination of the greens the animals ate and which then ends up inthe manure.

Clopyralid is an herbicide that's no longer available for home use but can still be used by landscape maintenance folk and farmers.

See this about trial with tomatoes
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/ClopyrGarden.htm

The entire menu
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/Clopyralid.htm

There, notice the link for a bioassay you can easily do.

Here is a link that might be useful: clopyralid info from WSU

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here