Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black spots and yellowing leaves- help!

Posted by jscottw new york (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 11:41

the tomato plants in my raised bed have begun to get many small spots on the
underside of the leaves, then they seem to turn yellow- any suggestions?
Weve had a tremendous amount of rain recently, also I'm using a fish emulsion
as fertilizer. Thanks for any input!

Image link: black spots and yellowing leaves- help! (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black spots and yellowing leaves- help!

I'm not getting enough clarity off of those photos to really pin it down... but you mentioned that the spots were small, and they look quite dark. Is it progressing just a couple of leaves at a time, rather than by leaps and bounds?

Fungal spots tend to show up so fast it's breathtaking, especially in wet weather. If it's going slowly enough that you can note which leaves get it and when, that suggests a bacterial disease. If the spots are also pretty consistently small -- 1/8" or less -- I'd try treating for bacterial speck or spot, and see what happens.

Pick off the worst leaves, as they won't get any better, and throw them in the garbage can. Then pick up some fixed copper spray from the hardware store or nursery, and spray them as directed (or as close as you can -- I understand you guys are building arks out there). If and when the rain settles down, you should be able to get a handle on it pretty well.

I'd suggest mulching just on principle, but I'm guessing plastic tarps might be more useful right now. Soil splashing up onto the leaves just makes matters worse; once the bacteria or fungus has a foothold in the lower leaves, though, it spreads upward by water splashing on those leaves.

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here