Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricem11

TSWV, bacterial speck, or something Daconil will take care of?

pricem11
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have 30 or so heirloom plants that have done great so far in my zone 7a central NC garden. This is my first year

gardening here with so many plants. However, in the last few days, I'm starting to see signs of danger :-). I have been spraying with Daconil once a week, and I use saponified Neem oil to control aphids etc. I have seen a fair number of green aphids, potato aphids, flea beetles, and white fly, but I have n't seen what I thought were thrips--even with a magnifier.

I'm attaching some photos of problem plants. The first two are Coyote:

I'm thinking it's TSWV and I need to yank it. The second photo is of top growth. Any confirmations are appreciated.

The second two are Lucky Cross:

Maybe preliminary signs of the same thing?

Finally, the last one is of Cherokee Purple:

There are more lesions like this one elsewhere on the plant. This looks fungal to me, right?

Thanks for any comments/advice. I hate to see things go down after so much hard work!

Mark

Comments (10)

• torquill
    17 years ago

I'd say you're thinking in the right ways on these, Mark. Those purple spots on Coyote look bad to me, and when you added in the curled top growth I said immediately, "I'd yank it." Bacterial speck tends to be more toward the bottom and black, not purplish... and it can't cause that distortion. Only two things cause new growth like that in tomatoes: herbicide or virus. I'd pull it.

The second one is borderline; the real question is where the symptoms are showing up. Virus spots tend to show on newer growth, while bacterial and fungal things often show up more on the lower, older leaves. If you're getting leaves halfway up the plant or higher with that netting effect, while the leaves below are better or unaffected, I'd be betting on TSWV. If you feel daring, leave it in until it starts to stunt, and then you can be sure.

The last pic looks like Early Blight -- the broad halo is indeed a classic fungal symptom, and the edge-placement and brown dead area suggest Alternaria. Give the Daconil a try and pick off the affected leaves; mulching and clearing out the lower foliage may help as well.

It's always hard to pull plants, but you're doing well at keeping on top of things, looks like. Good luck.

--Alison

• busy_bee_7tn
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to say that your pictures (minus the last one) look just like the TWSV I've been batteling for the last three years. Each year the virus has hit earlier in the season. First year I already had lots of fruit on the vines, so I went ahead and harvested as stuff ripened. Any that forms after the virus has happened, the fruit will not be any good.
    This year I've yanked half my plants already and have very few green fruit formed.
    I've tried relocating my tomatoes further from the roses that yield the thrips, but it hasn't helped.
    Wish I had some answers for you.
    Bev

• pricem11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I yanked them out a few days ago. I HATE to have to do that. I had high hopes for Coyote since it was by far the most vigorous plant during the first few weeks and was the first to grow over the top of the cage.

So far, I haven't seen anymore of those tell-tale purplish spots and curly wilting of top growth.

In my hot and muggy NC garden, I'm seeing some yellowing and early fungal activity on a few plants--even hybrids like Sun Sugar and Better Boy. So I thought I'd share which plants are growing great, setting lots of fruit, and not a sign of pathology over here in this wonderland of bugs, virus and fungus called Chatham county Wink :

Arkansas Traveler
    Azoychka
    Black from Tula
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Purple
    Paul Robeson
    Kimberly
    Black Cherry

These plants are doing well with less direct sunlight than they should get, and their spacing isn't ideal either. How's that for staying power?!

Thanks for the previous advice and posts!

Mark

• reeldoc
    17 years ago

Help me with the theory of yanking diseased plants.......

I've read that most plant diseases are transmitted to the soil from the first diseased plant that was planted (which started the disease process in the first place). Since the diseases will never be removed 100% from the soil each succesive planting will also be susceptable to catching the disease, Theoretically speaking, you could end up yanking every plant that you plant in the future.

Why no leave them in and maybe see if they live long enough to produce?

• pricem11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This particular disease was tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV). The major vector is thrips that transfer the virus to the plant as they feed. If other uninfected thrips come along and feed from the same plant, they can then hop over to a healthy plant and transfer the virus anew; hence yanking the plant out to prevent that. Also, the fruit from a TSWV infected plant looks, well, diseased. For other soil-borne or air-borne diseases, I wouldn't pull the plant if there was a chance to get decent fruit off it before it succumbs.

• johnski
    17 years ago

I'm getting dark leathery upper leaves on some of my plants. Could this be the same thing (TSWV)?

John

• garyjoe
    17 years ago

Top four are definately TSWV and I feel for you, AND me! I have been fighting it for years. This year we had early heat which delayed setting fruit on top of that! I'm looking into some BHN640, Amelia, and Top Gun which are supposed to be TSWV tolerant.

Gary

• lee_71
    17 years ago

John,

Not sure I could say one way of the other without a photo.

However the photos posted above are definitely good shots
    of what TSWV looks like.

Gary,

I tried Amelia a couple of years ago when Fusion sent me some seeds.

It was an OK variety, but definitely better than nothing if you've got TSWV prevelent in your area.
    Fortunately, I only have had to deal with it 2 years out of 7....

Lee

• garyjoe
    17 years ago

Hi Lee,
    The diseases are terrible here in the Texas panhandle and it it is definately a challenge to even get a RED tomato in the basket! But I will keep trying different things to improve the chances if possible!

Gary

• torquill
    17 years ago

The one time I got TSWV (and it shocked me, I'll tell you -- I didn't think it was out here) I yanked the Mortgage Lifter as soon as I could confirm it, and haven't seen any sign in the two years since. It was one of those where the first sign was on the fruit, and it was just coming out with the purple spots as I pulled it. Definitely odd-looking fruit.

I'm glad viruses aren't soilborne... I have enough trouble with charcoal rot.

--Alison