Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with tomato plants

Posted by Greens_Supreme colorado (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 12:34

Hello,

I am new to gardenweb, but have been reading here for a while. Now I have a problem and thought maybe someone here could help. I am growing tomatoes in a greenhouse and some of my tomatoes are forming dark areas near the blossom end, but not at the blossom end. The dark areas are forming in sections around the tomato where the seeds are - in each pocket. They are between the center (equator) of the tomato and the blossom end - never at the blossom end or above the equator of the fruit.

The plants were under fertilized up until about a week ago when I gave them a heavy feeding. They all look healthy and lush now. Also, the weather went from about 10 days of rain to recent sun. I'm thinking the rapid change in growth rate coud have something to do with it? I've added more calcium but don't think it is blossom end rot, so I don't know if this will help. Any ideas? Anyone ever seen this before?

Thank you!

Image link: problem with tomato plants (31 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with tomato plants

Someone had this problem last year or the year before. It may have been something similar to blossom end rot (BER), but not exactly that.

Have you tried searching the forums - this one and the main tomato forum? I just know this has come up before but can't remember what it was.

o
RE: problem with tomato plants - 2nd thought

On second thought, it might actually be Blossom End Rot. See link below; there are a few BER tomatoes that look like yours.

This is a physiological problem that is usually caused by inconsistent moisture levels (usually overwatering), which interferes with the plant's ability to move calcium. Of course, if there's no calcium in the soil, then you must introduce some with a fertilizer. That's easy to fix. :-)

It's most likely to happen in container grown plants. Some tomato varieties are more prone to BER than others. Lots of people have this problem with plum/roma type tomatoes, especially when they're in containers.

Regular fertilizer, and more importantly, keeping moisture levels consistent will keep the problem to a minimum or eliminate it entirely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Photos of BER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here