Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aelita_gw

Please help a newbie!

aelita
12 years ago

I live in NH and I planted two varieties of tomatoes on June 3 for the very first time. The cherry ones seem to be doing just fine still, but some Early Girl variety plants� lower leaves are turning yellow with occasional small brown spots. I water both varieties twice a day as the ground is extremely dry. At first I was watering over the whole plant, but since yesterday am I watered at the roots only. They were purchased as plantings from a local nursery. Did I do something wrong, or, I am really worried, this might be the dreaded blight - see the photo?

Should I go and get some new plants from another nursery that�s known for quality tomato plants and replant them after getting these out of the soil (it�s still not too late to plant them here)? I really don�t mind doing that. Or if it is in fact blight, is it too late to pull the infected plants out of the soil? � Someone told me that if it�s blight, the soil is already infected and the new plants would get it too, is it true?

Should I water only in the am (to prevent blight) or in the evenings as well? Thanks in advance!

Image link:

Comment (1)