Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help a newbie!

Posted by aelita NH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 13:29

I live in NH and I planted two varieties of tomatoes on June 3 for the very first time. The cherry ones seem to be doing just fine still, but some Early Girl variety plants� lower leaves are turning yellow with occasional small brown spots. I water both varieties twice a day as the ground is extremely dry. At first I was watering over the whole plant, but since yesterday am I watered at the roots only. They were purchased as plantings from a local nursery. Did I do something wrong, or, I am really worried, this might be the dreaded blight - see the photo?

Should I go and get some new plants from another nursery that�s known for quality tomato plants and replant them after getting these out of the soil (it�s still not too late to plant them here)? I really don�t mind doing that. Or if it is in fact blight, is it too late to pull the infected plants out of the soil? � Someone told me that if it�s blight, the soil is already infected and the new plants would get it too, is it true?

Should I water only in the am (to prevent blight) or in the evenings as well? Thanks in advance!

Image link: Please help a newbie! (33 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help a newbie!

I am not an expert but I would not worry(yet) if the yellowing/browning is on the lower leaves it is normal.They are the oldest and as part of nature brown and die first and I would recomend not to water them so much unless they are in containers you could do more harm,instead mulch around the plant roots and water deeply less times a week how much? it depends on the weather check by digging 1 or 2 inches into the soil if is moist no need to water if is dry go ahead,best wishes.wow I jus realize that you plant them 5 day ago I hope you planted them deep and have some kind of support.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here