Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bumps on tomato plant stems, dying plants

Posted by janey01 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 13:48

There are little bumps on the lower stems of my tomato plants, and the plants are shriveling up and falling over. I asked someone at a garden center and was told its something like transplant shock, but i don't think it is. The problem is on one end of the garden and spreading, but the plants on the other end are perfectly healthy, without any bumps on the stems.
These were started from seed and planted a few weeks ago. Since they were put in the ground, they doubled or tripled in size and seemed very happy, but now they're dying.
Help diagnosing the problem would be very much appreciated.
I took 2 pictures - if you zoom in on the stem you should be able to see the bumps.
Thanks,
Janey

Image link: Bumps on tomato plant stems, dying plants (44 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bumps on tomato plant stems, dying plants

I have two tomato plants with the same thing but i grow indoors so i can't imagine anything but transplant shock.

o

The bumps are root initials. Not a problem.

Sorry that I can't help with the dying plants.

o

I have the same problem. Why are the root initials coming out of the stem over a foot above ground level? It appears to only be affecting my amish paste tomatoes

o

Tomato stem primordia may develop all along any tomato stem regardless of its proximity to the ground. Often it is a response to high humidity levels in the air or to excessive watering/rain around the roots. The plant attempts to compensate for the excess moisture around its soil roots by developing more roots. But the root initials themselves are not harmful to the plant. They are normal.

If you have a section of the garden that is showing a greater number of primordia and is also having wilt problems then it is likely that it is too wet there for some reason - poor drainage, too much watering or rain, etc. Diseases are more likely to develop there too.

Remember that roots need air as much as they need water and excessively wet soil deprives them of that needed air. More plants are killed by overwatering than by underwatering so when in doubt - don't water and pray for less rain. ;)

Dave

o

I have the same problem of the root primordia and wilting of the plants due to overwatering. If I stop watering will the tomato plants come back or will they continue to wither and die?

-Chris

o

I purchased a tomato tower which is made to plant tomatoes and other vine crops upside down. I planted cherry tomatoes & added Miracle-Gro planter mix and then planted cilantro. The tomatoes were doing just great & then developed what looks like root primordia & the leaves all curled and the stem broke off right by the opening. Anybody else have any luck, good or bad with the upside down method of planting? I do not believe I over-watered, but we have had a lot of rain in the last two weeks. It did seem like the drainage was good. Could the fertilizer in the Miracle-Gro be a problem? The plants were quite small when I planted them.

o

I grow in pots and have upside down plants as well, all of my tomato plants have this and they are growing just fine ,I did learn not to water as much as I had a case of early blight.... the bumps are fine

o

I just noticed today the bumps on my tomato plant. It is planted in a topsy turvy and seemed to be doing well. I have been watering it twice a day because, if I don't, it wilts. Seems to need alot of water. I will cut back on the watering and, hopefully, it will take care of the problem.

o

my bumps are not just near the bottom Are they still root bumps?

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/silver7885/IMAG0597.jpg[/IMG]

o

Yes, what if the bumps go higher than just the bottom? (Like silver78 asked) Still root bumps?

Ours is in a topsy turvy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here