Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fert1

Tomatillo Pests

fert1
18 years ago

This is my first time to grow tomatillos. I notice that the leaves on my tomatillo plants have the buckshot appearance that is usually caused from flea beetles. It just got me wondering what typical tomatillo pests are. I wondered if they get the same pests as tomatoes or if I have new and unique problems to face this year. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments (3)

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Flea beetles are the only pest I've ever noticed on tomatillos. I like and grow tomatillos, but golly they're weeds (you never have to plant them again deliberately after the first time!) and survivors. They seem to shrug off even the most severe FB damage and still grow and produce.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

If you go to Google and enter...tomatillo culture...it will bring you to the best article about tomatillo diseases that I know of.

And there are hardly any at all.

The article is fromj Purdue and is about growing tomatillos in LA.

Carolyn

• Paco388
    10 years ago

My first year growing tomatillos, too. They certainly grow vigorously like weeds. Here's my query: I have found several fruits whose husks are skeletonized to a fine veil. The fruits don't seem harmed. Inside the husks are small (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch) brown, soft bodied insects unknown to me. Anyone know origin of this, and consequences?