Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants suddenly going downhill

Posted by enosbg 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 14:51

My plants are dying from the top. The leaves are turning yellow, dying, have large brown discoloration on a large part of each leaf, and the stems are falling off.

Below is a picture of one of the plants. If this is an untreatable systemic disease there's nothing to be done. Perhaps it's early blight which is treatable? Or maybe it's environmental.

I've dealt with late blight before but this is nothing like that. It's happened much earlier in the season and suddenly. The plants have been in the ground for almost 3 weeks. I have several different varieties and they all look about the same--Better Boy, Early Girl, Celebrity. etc.

I have more pictures which I'll send along.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants suddenly going downhill

Another plant.

This post was edited by enosbg on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 14:59

o

Different plant and look

o

Detailed leaves and stem. Dark brown covering much of the surface area of the leaves. The leaves didn't curl but simply died.

o

Here are all of the photos in one place:

gallery

gallery

gallery

gallery

gallery

gallery

o

The bright yellow leaf color points to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup & a number of other weed killing products.

o

From the picture, depicting the soil surface (with a lot of stones,..), I think that the soil is both POOR and too sandy. As a result, the plants are not getting what needed. Drooping / wilting( as seen in one picture) can be due to thirst in a hot sunny day. Simply put, they are struggling.

I would clear out around the plants(by hands , wearing gloves), get rid of the stones bigger then hazle nut(better yet, by screening through a 1/4" mesh screen,) Then add and mix a lot of compost and manure ... and finally MULCH IT MULCH IT MULCH IT. Of course, it should have been better if you had prepared the soil (or at least spots that you were going to plant tomatoes), before planting to a radius of one foot and a depth of at least one foot , before planting.

These are things that come into my mind by looking at your pictures.

o

I agree with Jean. It looks like a little Roundup drifted over onto the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here