Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcmo_don

black specks with pictures!

kcmo_don
18 years ago

My Lucky cross, and one other plant have gotten some black "specks" on the lower most leaves.

I removed some of the leaves, but this is what it looks like.

The bottom pictue is basil in the same bed.

The stuff looks like it would wipe of, like dirt or something, but it doesn't!

Conditions have been very wet the past 3-4 days.

The ONLY thing I've ever applied to my plants is a little "homemade stuff"...

water, dash of soap, dash of oil, dash of baking soda and some garlic.

Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Don,

I read the main tomato forum first and then come here and when I see a post in the main forum that looks like it could be an infectious one, I come here to check , hoping it wasn't double posted. LOL

I see you posted here at 3;05 and there at 3;06 giving folks here but one minute to answer. LOL

Since it gets very wiggy when there is double posting and since you already have one or so respsonces there, lets keep all answers in one place, which would appear to be over there.

And next time maybe post in just one place to make things easier? ( smile)

THe problem often is that one doesn't always know if it's an infectious process going on, and I recognize that. But it';s good to post here if you think it's infectious b'c you can read the psots of others and also we have the thread called Problem Solvedr #2, which is an excellent resource to which folks answering questions can refer you to.

Carolyn, who will post over there when she returns later.

• farkee
    18 years ago

Don, Re: 2nd photo--wonder if there is any relationship to overwatering??

Or maybe the straw is too good at holding moisture? I would pull it a bit away from the plants stem.

The plant looks to have nutritional deficiencies -very lime green and the black tips make me think water logged roots interferring with nutrient uptake. (but I really don't know. just guessing of course.)

• farkee
    18 years ago

Don, I just reread what you wrote and just noticed you said bottom plant was basil--I grow alot of basil and now I definately think it is overwatered and possibly developing fungal problems to boot. What do you think--have you come up with anything else? Farkee

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

What do you think--have you come up with anything else? Farkee

Farkee,

Did you check the responses of others to this same thread as posted in the main tomato forum, b/c there were more comments/suggestions.

Carolyn

• farkee
    18 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for reminding me that other thread was there--majority of comments (8 out of 9) got sidetracked off original question as happens now and again so I thought I would throw my 2 cents in back here in disease forum. Farkee

• kcmo_don
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The problem seems to have fixed itself.
    It is getting a bit dryer here with more sun in the forecast.
    My plants acutally look FANTASTIC! I snipped the bottom leaves that had these symptoms and have seen no more.

PS. I almost NEVER water my plants!!! I would rathe have smaller fruits with more intense flavor than braggin rights to a huge, water bloated, bland "mater"!

I keep em mulched well, and pray for rain!
    If I get too much rain (like this week) I pull back the mulch to alow for evap!

Thanks!

• griley
    18 years ago

Don, I'm wondering if you've ever figured out what was causing the symptoms on your plants? The same thing is happening to my tomatoes and peppers. They are definitely not over-watered. The only thing I can think of is maybe phytotoxicity caused by spraying some safer brand insecticidal stuff on them-I've been using it more often than I probably should and in hot weather due to an aphid problem. The peppers look like your basil- black tips and all. I've already pulled up a couple of peppers due to this and I can't match any symptoms my tomatoes have with those noted in the problem solver. Thanks for any insight...I'd hate to lose my tomatoes.

• kcmo_don
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you are right.
    I stopped ALL spray and it cleared up!!!