Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis_jr

tomato fruit affliction (w/ photo)

phyllis_jr
17 years ago

I would very much appreciate some help diagnosing a tomato affliction that has me stumped. I tried the problem solvers, suspecting insects, bacterial speck, or pox/fleck, but it doesn't look like the "classic" examples of any of these, or follow the usual progression. The local extension guy says stink bugs, but I'm not so sure. I'm interested to see if anyone has had something similar, or can offer a second opinion.

Literally overnight, tiny brown speckles appeared on several green fruits. They range from barely visible (pinprick size) to maybe half a millimeter. They cannot be scratched off, and they appeared on both mature and immature green fruits. New spots are light brown and flat, and after a few days they turn dark (almost black), and if I look very closely I can see that they are sunken a litle bit. They do not enlarge with time. The spots seem to start, and are more concentrated, above the "equator" of the fruit-- on some fruits, the whole top third is spotted, but if you look at the bottom it looks fine. Some fruits have only a dozen or so spots, some have hundreds.

The leaves and stems of the plants are totally fine (except for a few aphids here and there). Green, healthy, vigorous, no spots or yellowing. Spots have occurred on Small Fry, Sweet 100, Early Girl, and Better Boy. La Roma II, German Queen, and Mr Stripey are unaffected (so far).

It seems that ripening is affected around the specks-- there is a 1-2 mm (depending on the size of the dark spot) green or gold spot around each dark speck on breaker tomatoes. When they get fully ripe, or over-ripe, the gold is less noticeable. The problem seems superficial- the discoloration doesn't go more than a mm into the flesh.

I've posted a picture of some Small Fry in various stages. Left to right: immature green with fresh new spot, immature green with spots a week or so old, dime (for scale), almost-ripe, and fully ripe.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Image link:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012