Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailnewgarden

Gimme 3 steps - question...

gailnewgarden
18 years ago

Hello - I just read what you posted in early June about Seranade and Spinosad. I was wondering how they answered your question:

A side note...i made a phone call to Agri-Quest, today, to ask them if they had any insight re: a possible conflict, or bad combinative result, from the use of both Spinosad and Serenade. The person i spoke with informed me that the people who could best answer this were in Chicago, for a Conference, but that she could take down my question, and have one of them reply to me, via e-mail, within 2 days.

Guess What...? I got a reply, from a primary responder within the Company, within 30 minutes...))) Highly ImPressed...again...)))

I just bought Serenade yesterday and used it last night and have been using Spinosad for a couple of months now. Is it okay to use both at the same time or what do they recommend?

Gail

Comments (9)

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Gail, i was told, that there is no conflicting battle, nor undesired result, from using both. I also was told, as a Reminder, to remember spraying schedules, every 7-10 days, for BOTH. I found that advice to be sorta interesting, it tells me that the Folks at AgriQuest are enamored w/the proper uses of Spinosad(a market Competitor), and Aware of an organic grower's thoughts, as well as the wonder of these New, Bacterial agents.

I wished i had asked them about mixing the Two, an applyin in one single spray effort, thats somethin i intend to re-visit, but i want to seek out, the Highest knowledge, in their company, an get a verbal answer. Will try an post , non-incriminatively, down the Road...)) Good Question, ...and i can tell You this...STUDY...spinoSAD, study it's translocation feature, an come to understand, jus what that means, w/regard to maintaining an early schedule of repeated application. It's almost like Kryptonite...))) Superman's secret defense...))) But it takes time, to translocate, thats why, do it, from a seedling's soilburst days. Study, the Meaning, of the WORD, translocate...))) I can tell you, right now, i got a infestation of Japanese beetles, an i got new crop beans, both Limas, and Pole(Rattlesnake). I got the prettiest rows of butterpeas i ever grew, right now. I treated them ALL, with Conserve, 3 times, thus far, on a 7-8 day scedule. Aphids aint had no desire to screw with these plants, nor has root-attackers.I been sprayin my sweet potatos, an it's funny...the J. beetles tried to eat em a few leaves, but by an large, they decided that this is somethin that'll make us sick...))) The only two crops i aint ever sprayed...asparagus an Raspberries, the J.B.'s are
    workin on, but i Work on them, very easily... w/a Maxwell House coffee can w'about a 1/2" of gasoline, jus flick em into it.

Spinosad is a Wonderful Shield, to me, an Serenade is provin to be my Savior, when it comes to suppressin Foilage diseases. I truly am in Awe, an Appreciation, for these new tools, an i Always want to give Our Creator , Praise, for the way, Things were Created, ...All we got to do, is keep tryin to learn, His ways...)))

Best Wishes, Thru Time, ask me anything, down the road, i'll tell ya what i've seen...)))

• gailnewgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Gimme 3 steps for your in depth answer. I am afraid I have not been diligent about spraying Spinosad on a regular schedule but the container I bought (I think) says to use 4 times a season max. I've had quite a bit of damage from stink bugs or at least there are millions of the little buggers around. I know they pierce the tomato skin and suck out the juices which in itself should not do too much damage. But most of my tomatoes are rotting on the vine now and I am thinking those little buggers are making holes for the bacteria and fungus to enter the tomatoes and do their damage.

I, too, was wondering about mixing the Spinosad and Serenade together. I have heard of folks who mix Daconil and BT so I figure there might be other safe mixes out there.

If you happen to find out about the mixing issue I'd love to hear about it and certainly would not mind an e-mail if you are okay with that since I don't check this web site every day.

Thanks again!!
    Gail

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Gail, a stinkbug will Ruin a tomato, but there in FL, you might jus finally be reachin end of First season, anyhow. Ponder this...all insects, indeed, so many life forms...have a Season of Strength, after which, they fade, including Us...))) What i'm tryin to say is that you'll have a brief period of intense SB pressure, but that's the time, to be Pro-active.
    A Stinkbug is easy to catch an kill, w'a big wide can w/a little gasoline in it. All you gotta do, is knock him into it.
    I dont think Spinosad will really deter a stinkbug, because i dont think it is translocated into the fruits. You gon have to look long an hard, to find studies that discuss translocation, but i assure you, it's the most un-talked about, but greatest attribute of Spinosad.And it's this feature, that's at the CORE, of their minimum application suggestions.I aint sure about fruit translocation, tho, an the green beans i been harvestin show attempt to bite into, but a quick abandonment of that idea,an i didnt even spray them but twice,when young, before bloom, so, my jury is still out on that. It's not easy, either, for one to learn, all they want to, about an agent, these days.So we have to Learn all we can, cautiously, an use our insight, our desire to always learn more, an keep ploddin...))) Keep in mind...Man dont know much about this agent, yet, it is Mighty young, w/regard to research. My gut says Spinosad gaurds a Plant's Foilage, plus it's roots, if root-drenched, but not it's fruits. Stinkbugs attack Fruit, a quick swim in gasoline says "Asta La Vista, Baby"...))) Will definately inform of future learnins, re: combination mix. Good Luck , there...)))

• gailnewgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Gimme - running out now to fill a coffeecan with gasoline and drown those suckers.... Woohoo... look forward to what you find out about mixing Spinosad and Serenade.
    Gail

• cportu
    18 years ago

Hey Gimme, where did you pick up the Conserve... I thought it was only a commercial product? If you have a source for it, perhaps I can send you a check and you can buy some for me. How much did it set you back? I'm starting to get warmed up for tomato season- gonna set some seeds out for grafting today!

-Carlos

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Carlos, i saw yo post in the Tomato forum, before checkin here...thus, i woulda already replied. Spinosad is marketed 2 ways. The version for home garden use has a concentration of .5 percent, and costs me 11 bucks for a pint.You mix it at 2 ounces/gallon of water. It is marketed under the Trade Name, Conserve, also the version i buy is actually called Conserve Naturalyte. The Professional use product is marketed in a 11 percent concentration, if my memory isnt flawed, and it is marketed as Conserve SC, it costs around a 100 bucks for a pint, i think, mighta been more than a pint. Check with yo local commercial Ag suppliers, an if u caint find it, lemme know, i can accomodate ya, if need be. Best Wishes, an be sure to keep Learnin bout it's use....never apply it near a body of water, as it's life is greatly increased, in the darkness of deep water.

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Gail, was told today by AgriQuest that they have no studies to indicate any knowledge, pro or con, re: mixing the 2, an that from a Legal Standpoint, they must advise not to. Am tryin to hear the Spinosad producer's side to this question, as time allows me to pursue it, will post their answer, when recieved. Good Luck...)))

• gailnewgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Gimme. I saw the industrial strength spinosad on the internet (11%) and it is expensive. I did a little math and figured out I am better off with the consumer version (5%). I guess I need to go research the "translocation" you keep mentioning. Bracing myself...
    Gail

• cportu
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, folks! I purchased a few packages of Harpin (Messenger) over the internet yesterday to add to my anti-bug rotation. Gimme, you should take a look at that one. sounds right up your alley. I think it is made by Eden. Supposedly boosts the plants self defense mechanisms. Similar to spinosad. I'll keep looking for the spinosad products around here. Still have a bit of time. I figure Fertilome will probably be the easiest to find.

Thanks again for all the help! looking forward to a great tomato growing year!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths