Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oilrigg

Tomato Leaf Curl, Yellow Spots, Yellow Leaf w/ Brown Spots

oilrigg
10 years ago

I'm growing tomatoes in a self-watering container and 2 of my tomatoes seem to have issues. I'm in zone 9 and lately the weather has been around 75úF. Can anyone give any insight as to what the problem may be and if it's treatable?

Leaf Roll - Some leaves are curling like this.

Yellow Spots - Some leaves near the bottom of the plant have these yellow spots.

Yellowing Leaves w/ Brown Spots - I notice that this generally happens to leaves at the tips.

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Final image: damage due to ran short of water.
    1st image may be physiological rolling of leaves.

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jean.

In these images, the tomato plant is grown in a self watering container. There's typically water in the very bottom reservoir so I wouldn't have thought it to be short of water. I thought it may have been some bacterial disease.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Could be short of water because the self-watering container is keeping it too wet.

• Gaetano12
    10 years ago

I am also in Zone 9B and have the same problem. I do not believe that it is watering problem, I think that it is more likely a fungus that affects tomato plants in our area.
    I have 35 huge tomato plants in 5 gal self irrigated containers and my plants are in their final stage of maturity.
    The plant leaves are are browning & drying throughout.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Those images don't show any evidence of fungus.

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plants in self-watering containers and in 5-gallon grow bags are both exhibiting the leaf roll. However, I do have 2 5-gallon grow bags that have plants in partial shade which do not exhibit leaf roll and are just as big, if not bigger, than those in the self-watering containers.

I'm thinking the leaf roll may be root stress related. Either the 5-gallon containers/bags have become too small, the container gets too hot thus stressing the roots, or the potting soil has finally compacted and isn't delivering enough oxygen to the roots.

I have tomato plants in raised beds as well and I haven't noticed any leaf roll with them. I have noticed a few had yellowing leaves w/brown spots (3rd picture), however.

• coldzone
    10 years ago

Has anyone sorted out what this is or how to get rid of it? my tomatoes are doing the same thing with pale yellow spots on the leaves and the leaves curl and turn leathery. Have not had any leaves dry up and die though.

• coldzone
    10 years ago

Has anyone sorted out what this is or how to get rid of it? my tomatoes are doing the same thing with pale yellow spots on the leaves and the leaves curl and turn leathery. Have not had any leaves dry up and die though.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner