Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermance_gw

Help--Mosaic and Wilt? (pics)

hermance
16 years ago

This is my first post. I am *very* new to gardening. I seem to kill everything I try to tend, but I really want to get better. This March, I started growing vegetable plants in containers as a way to get started. I am having some trouble with two of my tomato plants. Both were bought at Home Depot, planted with Miracle Gro potting soil, and then were fed with tomato plant food about four weeks later. They have gotten the same amount of water and sunlight and are both mulched on top.

One, a Super Fantastic, has grown really well. It has produced four or five fruits, but they all have had brown spots on them. The first two or three had brown spots at the basal end, which grew over time. I let one of those fruits continue to grow. Although the fruit did turn red, the brown spot had really taken over at that point. This seemed like Blossom End Rot to me. However, there are also often smaller brown circular indentations on the fruit that resemble the Tomato Mosaic Virus pictures on the Problem Solvers #2 thread. I have included a link to pictures of the Super Fantastic below. I am now pulling the fruit as soon as I notice the spots. When I thought it was BER I was going to try to regulate moisture better and see if it would stop. If it's the virus, though, I'm afraid that it will spread to my other plants and that I should pull the plant now if that is what it is.

On my Homestead plant, the lower leaves and branches are turning yellow, then curling, and then turning brown and falling off. I am terrified this is v. wilt and am hoping it is instead related to a watering/salt problem. I have included a link to pics of it below. So far, it has only produced one fruit, but that fruit is growing well and looks good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8681491@N02/sets/72157600310539000

I would hate to lose both of these plants!!! I appreciate any help!

Comments (3)