Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sudden Wilt on Tigerella

Posted by raisemybeds SouthernCT (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 16:54

Today my Tigerella plant has a severe wilting of some of its branches. Other parts of the plant look fine. No yellowing or any other symptoms. It has grown well and looks healthy otherwise, with many flowers on it. This is in a raised bed in full sun, which is shared by 7 other plants of different varieties. There is NO lack of moisture problem, and I can see no injury anywhere. It has been very hot and muggy lately. I am thinking I might yank it to prevent a spread of whatever is wrong to my other plants. I seem to remember encountering something like this one year and there was no real good solution to it. Any comments appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sudden Wilt on Tigerella

Wilting in your geographic area of some branches usually indicates Verticillium or Fusarium or possibly the beggining of Bacterial Wilt or SOuthern Bacterial Wilt.

Any change in leaf color?

No recovery with water?

Carolyn

o
RE: Sudden Wilt on Tigerella

Hi Carolyn - thanks for responding. It is raining right now so I am not watering to test the theory, but I think we can assume no recovery with water as it is still looking wilted from the window here. Interesting note, though, I snipped a small section of wilt off the end of a branch maybe 7" long and stuck it in a glass of water to see if there was any ooze, and although I saw nothing unusual the section itself revived nicely after about an hour in the glass of water. So now I'm totally confused. Tigerella is fortunately not high on my list of "gotta try it" tomatoes, so I wouldn't be all broken up to sacrifice it if it should be yanked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here