Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumber mosaic virus

Posted by iwallake 43204 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 17:15

Well I think I have cucumber mosaic.
I got the damn thing last year also.
I do not know what I am doing wrong or how to prevent this.
I purchase the plants from a garden store.
Last year my summer crop was ruined and it appears this year I am going to have the same issue. I have 500sq of raised beds.

Let me know what i should do

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumber mosaic virus

Herbicide damage. Typical damage from 2,4,-D.

If not used nearby, then used some where in the vicinity and moved off target even though inadvertently. On a breeze or on spray turbulence.

o

No herbicide has been used in a year

o

I repeat, w/edits --
If not used nearby, then used some where else in the vicinity -- and or neighborhood -- and moved off target even though inadvertently. Moved on a breeze or on spray turbulence and/or volatilized from one of the weed-&-feed products.

o

damn - i pulled them all

o

The tomato plants are with in 50 feet of a walnut tree

o

They say that it is hard to correctly identify tomato virus by photo alone, but I wouldn't rule out CMV as your photo is pretty similar to others I've seen on the web. CMV is spread by aphid and a quick bite spreads the virus from plant to plant. Plenty of hosts besides your tomatoes, so you may not be able to eliminate CMV from your area. If CMV, there's not a lot you can do besides try to control the aphids. Here's an aphid control link: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html

o

They say that it is hard to correctly identify tomato virus by photo alone, but I wouldn't rule out CMV as your photo is pretty similar to others I've seen on the web. CMV is spread by aphid and a quick bite spreads the virus from plant to plant. Plenty of hosts besides your tomatoes, so you may not be able to eliminate CMV from your area. If CMV, there's not a lot you can do besides try to control the aphids. Here's an aphid control link: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here