Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosupplies

Solution to this? Pic Included...

NoSupplies
18 years ago

I went and checked on my tomatos this morning, Am near KC, MO.

We have had alot of rain lately. I have several new tomatos, this is the only one that looked liked this one, and I promptly detached it from the plant took a picture and tossed it in the trash. It looks like a couple of different things are going on, some sort of Pest and possibly some sort of disease or rot? I have absolutely no idea however.

Any other info needed just let me know I tend to be a bit scattered and forgetful ))

Thank you

Joyce

{{gwi:1297398}}
Striped Roman

Comments (11)

• Picnic6
    18 years ago

Man, that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a garden.
    Ewww. Just looking at it makes me want to wash me hands...
    I'm sorry.

• NoSupplies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah I had to scrub my hands down after that, It's a long gone mater now I didn't want it anywhere near my garden or my house. hehehe

I should mention that this tomato was approximately 10"-12" off the ground.

I did mist them with a dish soap/water/garlic oil spray earlier. (was out of Vegetable oil)

Hopefully it doesn't happen to any of the others, will be watching them closely.

Joyce

• nctom
    18 years ago

Any leaf or stem symptoms? Malformed fruit could be catfacing. Ugly brown spot with no leaf or stem symptom could be Blossom End Rot or Buckeye Rot. I've never seen anything like that.

Here is link that may help you.

There are several threads with links to places you can send that picture to for "expert" diagnosis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comprehensive website for problemed tomatoes

• NoSupplies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't think there was, During the rains I noticed a bit of leaf curl. The fruit seems to for the most part look like it's supposed to.
    I googled Tomato expert diagnosis but didn't find anything that was very helpful to me.

Here is the cluster that bad tomato came from, just to the right of the top tomato you see. I notice one leaf curled and brown a bit, and a dark dot on the leaf in the lower left hand corner.

{{gwi:1297400}}
    Striped Roman

• nctom
    18 years ago

I'm sorry I was assuming your fruits were round. I wish I could be of more help. To me it looks like healthy plant. Check out the threads on diagnostic labs posted by farkee.

• NoSupplies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nope wasn't until this morning that I realized i had the plants labeled correctly but in my mind they were in opposite rows so these Tomatos are actually Super marzano. They are paste Tomatos and have more of an oblong shape.

That gave me a bit of a start, ran across other pages and stuff from key words. I went out to check on my plants this mornng and another plant had one of the pictures at the end of it's stem, unfortunately it was a picture of Early blight (

I'm not sure what to do now, I may end up losing all of them from one thing or the other, kind of discouraging.
    I do have 4 in containers, hopefully nothing will happen to them too.

Thank you
    Joyce

• nctom
    18 years ago

If you suspect blight don't give up just yet. Spray plants with a copper based fungicide or get some Ortho Garden Disease Control. Serenade is another product to try. Your Wal-mart or Home Depot should carry all three. Spray all your plants not just the one with symptoms.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

JOyce, I saw one fruit that looked like it had BER, and that's all I saw.

Nothing to worry about that I could detect.

Carolyn

• NoSupplies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Carolyn, I appreciate the confirmation, The BER pictures that i saw were different enough to make me unsure. I found another yesterday with BER and it was more recognizable from the pictures.
    The Blight I also was able to ID from the pics. Over half my plants have it now, My own fault I did not trim up high enough. It is still only on the lower leaves and i have been removing them carefully. But can only stay out there so long. My husband tried to find the ortho stuff yesterday but they did not have it. Hopefully he can find it soon.

Thank you Joyce

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Joyce,

From your pictures I couldn't see enough to be able to ID any foliage diseases.

If you're sure it's fungal then the Ortho Garden Disease Control should work, if not, then there are alternatives for the bacterial foliage diseases and a copper containing product such as Kocide, or similar might help, as one of those alternatives.

Carolyn

• NoSupplies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't manage to get outside today so had my son go get me three leaves from the lower branches of a couple of the plants. This is what i think is the Early Blight.
    True Value didn't have the Ortho, Will check Lowes and send him there tomorrow if they have it )
    Thank you
    Joyce
    {{gwi:1297403}}

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company