Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo_gw

Leaves yellowing from stem end

Booboo
18 years ago

My tomatoes have been planted out since May 27th. All has been looking great till today. I have leaves on several plants turning yellow from the stem end mostly at the top of the plants. They weren't like his yesterday. I've looked through the problem solver and also searched GW but can't find a likeness to my problem. Actually the closest to me looks like salt damage but I don't see how that can be. The only other thing I can imagine is the farm field next to me was sprayed with a herbicide maybe 2 or 3 days ago. Gosh darn ... is there ever any relaxing growing tomatoes- oh yeah I know there is. Help very much appreciated - TIA

Boo

Here are a couple pictures.

Picture 1

{{gwi:1297446}}

Picture 2

{{gwi:1297448}}

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

It sure looks like herbicide drift damage to me.

Different herbicides can give different symptoms and what yours suggests is glyphosphate damage.

Sometimes plants pull out of it, sometimes not. It really depends on how much contact was made.

So just let them go and hope for the best.

Carolyn

• Booboo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Our farmer neighbor just came to look at our garden and especially my tomato crop. Clear-All is what they sprayed in the corn fields - yes same as Round-Up but made in China. He apologized profusely. It's been windy the last few days so I'm surprised they didn't wait till a calm day.

My husband and I were both in somewhat of a panic and I don't know if what we did was helpful or might make it worse. We snipped out all the yellowing stuff and had two five gallon buckets of stems and blossoms - just made me sick. It's already done before I read your note. Did we make it worse?

Thanks,
    Boo

• tomn66
    18 years ago

Earlier this year I used mulch that had been treated with 2 4 D. I had 6 plants that started looking like yours. I pulled 3 of them and replanted. The other 3 I left in after clearing the mulch away. I didn't pull any of the leaves off (probably because they were small and didn't have a lot of leaves). The yellowing ones recovered and I now see no difference in the plants.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

It's already done before I read your note. Did we make it worse?

Boo,

Heck of a question to ask after you've done it, LOL, but I think I would not have done so, and let the damaged foliage, etc. drop of its own accord. I'm not saying what you did made it worse, I'm just saying what I would have done and actually did do the one time I had herbicide drift damage.

Boo, when I was growing around 1000 plants each summer it was at the old farm where I was raised and the land was used by a farmer who sprayed herbicides and many other things. Charlie, who is a good friend, would spray in the early AM so as to try and do it when the breezes were the least, but sometimes farmers just can't control what happens after the stuff is mixed and in the tank. And no, the herbicide damage I had was nOT from Charlie, it was from yours truly spraying ROundup to clear some weeds before a field demo day I was holding for several Master Gardener Club folks. Just stupid Carolyn trying to take the easy way out. Sigh.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Boo, I just read your post at TM and was going to say that I'd IDed it as glyphosphate before the farmer ever came over and all else posted here, but on second thought maybe I just won't comment there unless you ask me to.

I know it makes is difficult when you post here before posting there and I don't want to cause you any problems if you know what I mean. Sigh.

Carolyn

• Booboo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heck of a question to ask after you've done it, LOL, but I think I would not have done so, and let the damaged foliage, etc. drop of its own accord. I'm not saying what you did made it worse, I'm just saying what I would have done and actually did do the one time I had herbicide drift damage.

Oh no Carolyn ... you have first hand experience Yes I know ... stupid question after the deed's already done. We didn't know which way to go ... leave them alone or whack them ... thinking if the damaged portion wasn't removed it would travel further through the plant. I was hoping to hear at least that we didn't make the problem worse \- remains to be see if they come out of it. I had to take a break and watch a movie to try to get my mind off my tomatoes. I just won't think about them any more tonight ... after all, tomorrow is another day. I don't mind if you comment at TM. I came here to look at the diagnostic thread and just posted here first. At that moment, I didn't know if I was coming or going. And tomn66 ... I'll hope my plants are as strong as yours were. I'm glad things turned out ok for you! Boo