Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vladiz_gw

Stuck in development, slow grows, some yellow.

Vladi
10 years ago

Veggies planted exactly 1 month ago didn't pick up much grows and seems to be stuck in development, that is including (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, peas), see images below. They appear weak and plenty of yellow color which worries me. Similar tomato plant (Big Boy) planted on other bed right next to the first one is doing fine, same with peppers. Not sure whether it's fertilizer deficiency or some sort of a bacteria illness in the ground. Any advice / opinions is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Vladi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

an image with a cucumber. Also, could it be lack of sun? We have had plenty of wet weather in June.

• lm13
    10 years ago

What is your watering schedule? Have you fertilized?

• Vladi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In terms of watering I usually do it every other day if dirt looks dry and it looks like it needs watering, but for the past 3 weeks the abnormal amounts of rain took care of watering.
    On fertilizing side of things I used mule maneuver in the fall to prep the dirt for upcoming session (I could of placed excessive amount too) then as soon as I planted my vegies I gave them a mix of liquid fish emulsion + seaweed + azomite. WhatâÂÂs interesting is that the same Big Boy planted in other bed developed way better.
    I am thinking something is wrong with dirt I donâÂÂt have a clue what it is.

• lam13
    10 years ago

As to watering, vegetable gardens on average need 1 inch - 1 1/2 inch of water per week. If temperatures are really high (90s-100), they may need more. It is better to water once or twice a week really deeply than every other day. That allows roots to develop down as well as out. If you water everyday for brief periods you will have shallow roots and weaker plants. Don't go by the way the surface of the soil looks - it dries out quickly in the sun. Stick your finger in the soil about 3-4 inches deep. If it is dry that far down, then it is time to water. That being said, it sounds like you haven't had a choice in the matter due to lots of rain. You are right in that tomatoes and cucumbers like lots of sun - 6-8 hours a day is ideal. Some sunshine would certainly benefit what you have planted.

It is always a good idea to get your soil tested to check ph and nutrient levels, especially if it is ground you haven't planted in before. The ph could be too high, which would affect the plants ability to uptake nutrients from the soil. Unfinished compost can cause nitrogen to be temporarily unavailable to your plants, causing yellowing of leaves and little growth. If you live in MA, here is the form to send a sample to be tested (looks like it's $10):

http://soiltest.umass.edu/sites/soiltest.umass.edu/files/forms/soil/Routine Soil Analysis - Use This Form for Turf Landscaping and Home Gardening-editable V2_0.pdf

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I bet it's a combination of too much rain and possibly a soil deficiency or imbalance.

Good luck! I had soil issues at the beginning of last year and getting the soil test was the best (and possibly cheapest) investment I made in my garden. Inexpensive and will save you tons of money down the road from buying fertilizer that you may not need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Test Info

This post was edited by lam13 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 14:31

• Vladi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really appreciate your advice @lam13 and will absolutely get soil test done to get it balanced.
    In terms of watering, I am using 2 gallon watering can and have three 4' x 8 ' beds housing 8 tomato plans each.
    Would you say 2-3 cans twice weekly will suffice the need?
    Thank you!

• lam13
    10 years ago

Wow! That's quite a lot of tomato plants to be watering by hand. I imagine two to three 2 gallon cans worth would not be close to sufficient for 24 tomato plants (you did say 3 beds 8 plants per bed?!). Remember - you want to water deeply once or twice a week, not just wet down the surface of the soil. Do you have any access to a gardening hose? Most recommend using drip irrigation or soaker hoses to water and leave them on for 1-4 hours, depending on the water flow rate, once a week or if really hot and dry (90s-100), more often. (Of course if you have rain, you wouldn't need to water until the soil is dry 3-4 inches down.)

If you HAVE to water by hand, I would suggest posting a separate question to the board about hand watering that many plants. I have no idea how many gallons per plant you would need, other than just using a feel test by sticking your finger in the soil.

Hope you have good results with your soil test and get an answer to your hand watering question. Good luck! :)