Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1janetta0

curly top virus

1janetta0
17 years ago

Is anyone seeing this on Ca. coast? My plants are starting to look pretty strange! I think I saw the vector. I'm hoping not. (it quickly hopped away) So between the psyllids and now maybe the curly top it will be a very trying tomato season.

Janet

Comments (4)

• maternewb
    17 years ago

I had posted an earlier post about my plants looking really funny too. I thought that it might be V. wilt or Blight, but now having searched CTV, I have to say its moving to the top of my list. I have DEFINATELY seen that stupid vector hopper crap guy around my garden (I thought they were little grasshoppers!) So far neem oil and insecticidal soap has not controlled those goons. I might have to bust out the big guns, although I try my best to keep my garden as organic as possible.

Take a look at my post and let me know if your plants are looking like mine? I've also that the new leaf growth is strange looking. It is truly becoming a trying season!

• 1janetta0
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just checked out your photos maternewb. Mine don't look like that so far. But I also didn't plant until the end of May. It's cooler up here at nights. I'll try to get some photos of mine soon. The tops of the plants are curling down and inward. Some of the leaves are almost spiraling inward. Many of the bottom leaves seem to be pointing downward as if to support the plant. Poor matos. There isn't much yellownig yet. One or two out of twenty have the hint of some yellow. I'm pretending I didn't see it.

• maternewb
    17 years ago

After doing some more research, I don't think I have curly top, but I have definately seen those horrible horrible beet hoppers or whatever they are all over my garden. alas, I guess its only a matter of time until I get that!

Good luck!

• torquill
    17 years ago

Three things are needed for a disease to take hold.

1) A susceptible plant (of course),
    2) The vector, in this case an insect,
    3) The presence of the disease in the vicinity.

If you are missing one, it won't happen. Spraying for the insect that carries CTV does very little except make you feel better; all it takes is one nibble by one infected leafhopper, and you can't get every single one no matter how much you spray. Do what you can, but don't bring out the big guns just in the hopes of beating the virus. Especially don't bring them out because you see things which might be the right insect, with no idea whether the virus is anywhere in your area.

What seems to be most effective is getting rid of weeds around and surrounding the garden, during all times of year. Weeds act as a habitat for the leafhopper, and many can also carry the virus itself. When you have that reservoir of virus, and a nice comfy spot for leafhoppers to live and breed all through the year, the chances for infection go way up.

Take out as many weeds as you can, all around the yard and as far beyond as possible. Assume that you'll have to replace a few plants, if you know for sure that it's a problem where you are. Keep the plants as healthy as you can otherwise. Then cross your fingers for luck. :)

--Alison