Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bksinaz

OH NO!! Whats happening?

bksinaz
18 years ago

Can you take a look at the two pictures and suggest what is going on with my tomatoe plants? I have sprayed with Deconil Ortho\Garden Disease Control about one day before this problem started. I did spray as directed, though might have been 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon unlike the directions at 1 tablespoon per gallon. Sprayed towards sunset. Did I kill my own plants or do I have a bug? I have been seeing lots of flys.

Image link:

Comments (19)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Daconil leaves a milky residue on the foliage and that's what it looks like to me. Perfectly normal.

Carolyn

• tomn66
    18 years ago

If it is from the daconil couldn't you just pull one of the leaves off and put in water? The residue should rinse off. I never saw residue like that from daconil but I use only 1 tablespoon in water.

• farkee
    18 years ago

That really doesn't look like a residue or film of daconil on the plant to me--looks damaged.

I saw a picture that looked EXACTLY like that and it was attributed to fungicide improperly mixed (too much I believe)and applied resulting in damage to the leaf. I have tried to find the image but can't find the link but will try and look again later. Hard to believe that 1 1/2 tbl. would do that--or you sure you did not use more?
    Also no damage like that can occur overnight so I feel it most probably can be attributed it to your daconil and too strong of a mix.

That , by the way, is not related to flies or flies.

• jmhewitt
    18 years ago

what kind of sprayer did you use to apply your Daconil?

Michael

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I agree it's pretty thick, but residue nonetheless IMO.

Why not just wash it off with water, either one leaf as tom66 suggested or use a hose and see if that's all it is, as I suspect. If there's damage not related to the milky residue it might even show up better if the Daconil is off the leaf surface.

Where is the damage that you're seeing Farkee, for I didn't see it but didn't spend that long looking? Maybe I should have rechecked the photo but then I lose this post and it's close to bedtime for me, so.....

Carolyn

• farkee
    18 years ago

Carolyn, hard to tell by looking at the photo if it is some sort of thick blotches of daconil on the leaves or actual damage but I just saw a photo like this a few days ago on some site and the only reason I remember is I had no idea that damage like that could occur with fung. sprays so it stuck in my mind. Now I can't find the (blasted) thing.
    I may wait to see if she can wash it off before I resume my search as then it would be just residue but sooner or later I will run into that photo again. Take care , Farkee

• NoSupplies
    18 years ago

Googled Fungicide Damage, Not sure if it is what you were looking for Farkee, but there are similarities.

Good Luck with your plants BKS, I'm pretty discouraged with mine this year but My husband and I can't help but discuss how next year will be better for us and what we are going to do differently ))

If i get enough to make my Italian Christmas Baskets I'll be happy happy ))

Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungicide Burn

• farkee
    18 years ago

Joyce, thank you , thank you ,thank you. That is not the same picture I saw but it will do. I just spent over an hour plus trying to google a hit on fungicide damage, and a million other similar phrases and could not find anything. I must have put it in favorites but the only thing I can figure out was maybe I was at work when I saw it.
    The picture I saw really did look exactly like the original one posted. I actually looked and looked and then went to bed-- but thought of another phrase to google and got back up again. Thanks again!!! Farkee

• farkee
    18 years ago

BKSinArizonia--- one additional thing to consider besides using too much in solution. How hot was it when you sprayed? Spraying fungicides (and alot of other stuff) when it is super hot could be why it damaged the leaves.

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To all...it is not residue. It is a portion of the leaves that have turned white and about to dry out. I will post another picture but will have to do so on a new thread. I cant seem to get more then one photo per thread. Keep an eye out for the new thread please.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

one additional thing to consider besides using too much in solution. How hot was it when you sprayed? Spraying fungicides (and alot of other stuff) when it is super hot could be why it damaged the leaves.

Farkee, BK, et. al,

I'm wondering about this whole situation. I'm glad you and Joyce were on to the possibility of damage due to use of anti-fungals but yesterday I spent quite a bit of time trying to find some words about WHY and under what circumstances this can happen and came up cold.

Sometimes when mixing stuff I use the coffee making routine, which is one for the pot, ahem, so I have used Daconil at 2 tbs/gal and have seen absolutely no problem at all. And for years and years I've seen my commercial friends use anti-fungals with no damage. And Daconil is the mot widely used anti-fungal in the world and if so, why so few comments/pictures anywhere?

One thing I can do is to ask my friend Charlie to ask his "chemical" man about this, for chem man is the conduit by which the commercial farmers in my area purchase what they use, from many sources.

And BK said that it was sprayed at sunset so the possibility of really high temps and interaction with sun is negated and it was said that the damage was there the next day.

I need and want to learn from this situation but so far don't have any good answers.

BK, did you have anything else in with the Daconil? Or had you sprayed anything else recently? Or had anything else been used in your sprayer recently?

Carolyn, left wondering

• NoSupplies
    18 years ago

I wouldn't have a clue but it looked to me as if the leaf was burnt somehow. In the picture where it's whitest the leaves look as if they are shriveling a bit.

I misted mine at 5pm it was in the high 80's checked on them at 6pm and they were dry.

Hope find out what caused it ))

Joyce

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The sprayer was brand new. Never used before. It was a RL Flowmaster Ultimate. you know the kind that you put in the solution, seal and pump before you spray. No other chemicals where used that day. About four days before that I used "Seven" Spray....a red bottle that I bought from home depot called "Seven"

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Why did you spray sevin? That's a very broad spectrum pesticide.

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

seven is for veggies...so I was told. I sprayed because the leaves were being eatten by something.

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Sevin" from GardenTech is what was used. Spray bottle label says Kills over 100 insect pest on vegetables, fruits, ornamentals & flowers.

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Yes, like I said, sevin is is a very broad spectrum pesticide. The active ingredient is carbaryl --highly toxic to bees and aquatics. While you may still choose to use sevin in the end, you might want to make an effort to identify what it is that is chewing on the leaves, as well as evaluate whether the level of damage is significant enough to warrant action, and then investigate whether there are less broad-spectrum options available. For example, aphids are usually controllable with a few simple blasts of water from the hose or, at worst, perhaps some insecticidal soap. Likewise, tomato hornworms are fairly easy to control by either handpicking or by using the biological control BT. Using sevin on either of those example pests can work against you by also killing the ladybugs and ladybug larva that feed on aphids or the predatory wasps that lay their eggs on and kill hornworms.

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok....gotcha. Will boil garlic or something much more healthier to good bugs if need to be in the future.

I must say that I never see anything chewing on the plants. I just wake up in the morning and notice the damage.

PS....could you look at another post called "My tomatoes are ugly, scarred and or rotton on the vine. See pic." and tell me what you think.

• qaguy
    18 years ago

Without a picture, it's hard to tell, but waking up
    in the morning to eaten plants kind of tells me
    it might be snails or slugs.

Any shiny slime on the plants? If so, probably snails
    or slugs.