Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyb_il

Curly Top Virus/Questions

CindyB_IL
18 years ago

I really think this is what is infecting quite a few of my tomato plants. I started everything from seed. I put them outside as soon as we can get them out, perhaps April and bring them inside when it's cool at night. The plants looked affected while still seedlings. I ignored it and put them out in the main garden and they seemed to completely recover, grew wonderfully with dark green foliage til they were about 18" tall. Then the condition set back in.

When is the 'season' that those beet leefhoppers would be out spreading disease in my area (Central Illinois, about 70 miles NE of St. Louis).

Maybe it's not the same - I haven't been at home with working out of town a lot and not inspecting them like I usually do. I attributed the early seedling problems to deficiences and wanted to get them out ASAP which did seem to help. The curly top condition seemed to set back in right after the weather got really hot in Illinois. I used some of the slo-release fruiting formula Osmocote when I put them out and did put some Miracle Grow for Tomatoes on them about 10 days ago to see if by chance it might help.

Leaves are crinkled, the color is generally good, but sparse.

Does any of this add up? I've been out of town for 2 weeks now and will inspect them this weekend. My husband says they're no worse, but not really better. The plants affected seem to be those earlier plants. I started a later batch and set them out in the garden about 3 weeks later and they seem to be fine (so far).

Comments (2)