Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdoyle_gw

Tomato leaf curl

jdoyle
9 years ago

Another pic of the plants ,there are no sings of external pest, I have about 40 plants and 30 of them have this problem. They feel lathery and spindly

Comments (3)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Herbicide damage.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Has anyone sprayed a lawn nearby with broadleaf weedkiller in the last month or so? Sprays can travel quite a distance. (For example, lawn treatments such as Scott's Weed & Feed formulas.This looks like damage from that sort of product rather than Roundup, which results in very different symptoms.)

Another possibility is the use of manure, compost, or hay which were contaminated with herbicides such as Grazon.

[It's best to keep each problem in a single thread, because over time, threads begun at the same time will not stay together. If you use a photo-hosting site like Photobucket or flickr, you can put multiple photos in a single post. And you can always put additional photos in additional posts (if GW's software objects, change the wording in the Subject of Posting box; sometimes the software thinks you're making multiple identical posts -- i.e. spam).]

• aulani
    9 years ago

I have problems with this for the first time this year. Only the Celebrity plants are thriving, but all the others including Mortgage Lifter are affected with this leaf curl. I think I may have figured this out. I make my own compost from my own clippings of everything except what is in the garden. My friend contributes his grass clippings to my compost pile and I welcomed it until I asked him if he used weed and feed. He did. So now my compost is tainted.

Do you suppose that herbicide will carry over this long? My compost is almost two years old. I did not plant a garden last year due to illness. So compost has been sitting there just as pretty as can be until now.

We have also had way too much rain around here in eastern Kansas. Just week before last, 3 inches in one afternoon. Could be too much water in my tomatoes but I do have good drainage.

Finally, if it was overspray from someone in the neighborhood, why are all my celebrities doing so well with nary a leaf curled up? And they are sitting right next to others that are curled. It's a conundrum.