Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrunken tomato leaves

Posted by robinchapelhill zone7NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 18:38

hi,
the leaves on one tomato bush at first-look seem to have been eaten along the edges... but a closer look shows that all the upper half of the plant's leaves are that way, as though they shrank to very narrow. the blossoms are also small and a few are brown. No sign of wilt - the branches stand up straight. all other tomato plants (except one - which had wilt and was off by itself about 12 feet away, now removed) look fine. any ideas what is happening? should I pull it up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrunken tomato leaves

Hi Robin - Just a guess without seeing it but it sounds like a nutritional deficiency problem (phosphorus) tho that is hard to understand if it is only one plant. But the early symptoms of some of the wilts can appear as nutrient deficiency so, since you have already had a case of wilt (you are sure that was the problem?), that would be the best guess.

If it would be possible to post a picture of it more help would be possible.

Dave

o
RE: shrunken tomato leaves

Hi Dave -
Thank you for your post. I give the plants tomato-tone according to instructions on the package - so maybe not nutritional deficiency. I took photos of the plant, but they were too fuzzy. This past weekend I decided to discard the plant since it was not going to produce. Since then unhappily - another has the wilt. No - I'm not sure that it is wilt. The plants begin to droop outer parts and then the whole plant goes limp. This will take place in 24 to 48 hours. I did not garden for a couple of years (too busy), and hoped that giving the soil a break - would make it stop doing the wilt thing. Is there a treatment that can be done to the soil to kill the wilt before next season? Altho' I would not want to kill all the earthworms that are there. I still have a number of healthy tomatos in other beds - keeping my fingers crossed !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here