Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Ways To Kill Aphids

Posted by soulreaver (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 18:47

I have been doing experiments with trying to kill aphids and few things have shown any promise.

I have tried cooking tomatoe leaves in boiling water to make a tomato spray but after testing it on a few dozen aphids they seem to show no damage at all.

Has anyone used this method successfully to kill aphids and if so, am I doing something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Ways To Kill Aphids

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 1:09

Try something easy. Squish them. And/or wash off with water.

o

I have over two hundred tomato plants many of them over 3 feet wide and 4-5 feet tall. I don't think squishing is going to work lol. As for spraying them, I have already laid down soaker hoses to try and avoid spraying water on their leaves so they don't get infected with various diseases.

I need some kind of organic home made spray that works.

o

You can try a 50%-70% alcohol solution spray on them.

o

Thanks yardenman. One quick question, would that harm any of the beneficial insects or burn the leaves on the plants? (I assume I should do it at night since alcohol evaporates fast)

o

I would think that the alcohol solution would kill your beneficials. I have been experimenting with home made cayenne spray. I mixed some in water and have used it on the one tomato plant in my garden with aphids. Seems to work. The fumes can be potent however.

o

A good article on organic aphid control is the last entry in the attached link to KSU Extension Newsletter. You might check it out. It is for organic greenhouse use but some of the products might work just as well outside.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: KSU Extension Newsletter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here