Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christen17

Lace bugs on my tomaotes

Christen17
9 years ago

Hi Friends, please help me kill lace bugs that won't leave my garden alone. I have been vegetable gardening for about 15 years now. I do alright and I try really hard not to use chemicals. I had been successfully growing a large variety of tomatoes (heirloom and others) from purchased plant and seed for ten years. About four years ago, I found a nursery near me that specializes mostly in chili pepper plants. They have thousands of varieties. They also have a huge variety of tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillos basil and cilantro. It was a vegetable gardener's dream and I loaded up! I bought lots, different varieties of everything and had a rocking garden. Except for a strange little bug I had never seen before. It took a long while to figure out what it was, a lace bug. I learned that they are particular about what they eat. Most go after azaleas but another kind goes after eggplant and it's cousins. Two years ago they nearly wiped out my tomatoes completely & did serious damage to any pepper or tomatillo. Last year, I barely planted anything at all, which made me really sad! This year I'm trying again. I have a 30' by 30' raised bed garden that consists of 19 small raised beds and gravel paths. A few weeks back, I planted 6 tomato plants, some pepper plants and eggplants. They are in different beds than the years prior and came from a different nursery. I just found a couple of lace bugs on a tomato plant. Can anyone tell me how to I kill these damn things without the use of napalm? I still want to tell my kids it's ok to run through the garden and eat food off the vine. My flame weeder kills them but that technique, however satisfying it may be, also damages the plant pretty badly. I'll fill the area with Praying Mantis if I have to, I'm desperate.