Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcos_2010

Early Blight

marcos_2010
13 years ago

I live in Hemet, California which is about 1200ft above sea level east of Los Angeles. It is very arid with summer temperatures 100+ regularly. We have had a very mild spring and early summer this year. However, the last two years I have suffered from Early Blight terribly. I have used Daconil, Mancozeb, Serenade starting when the plants are seedlings but nothing seems to eradicate the problem. Currently I have about 30 varieties, about half in production. I have built a hoop house and am using 40% shade clothe. Each plant has its own 15 gal tub filled with various attempts to make Al's 5:1:1 potting mix. Because of the heat Al recommended I go 5:2:1 and I am now seeing the need for more Peat as the water just runs right through the potting mix and very little water is retained. My next batch of 15 plants will get the 5:2:1 mix.

But my question is can I use Exel LG on my tomatoes without poisoning my wife and myself when we eat them? Does anyone have any surefire ways of dealing with this Blight. It starts with a yellowing of the leaves on some varieties and on Cherokee purple it just dries up the leaf and branch. This is old potato country although with the reduction in water because of some minnow up in the Sacramento River delta, the farmers have left the area mostly. We have one family that still grows Watermelon but that is it.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County