Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots on green tomato

Posted by yanjunlisa New York (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 20:06

We have two celebrity this year. They are planted in baskets not pot. And the fruits numbers are great but they all have some black spots on the end of the green tomatos. I compared the diseases with all the pics online and could not find the match.
We water quite often and there is a lot of sunshine.

Please help!

Image link: Black spots on green tomato (45 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots on green tomato

It looks like a really weird case of blossom end rot (BER); sometimes BER can look strange on the outside.

If it is BER (I think it is), make sure that you aren't over-watering the baskets and make sure that you fertilize regularly (about once a week).

Also, assuming BER, this is caused by the plant's inability to move calcium evenly through the plant. Generally this happens when temps are too cool and/or watering is uneven (usually too much water). It's rarely due to a lack of calcium. However, since they are growing in containers, you need to use a good, water-soluble, general purpose fertilizer every week or so, since potting mix does not contain the nutrients and micronutrients that the plant requires.

Once you rectify that situation, the problem will go away with new fruits.

All the best.

o

What does it look like if you cut the fruit open? Do the black spots extend into the inside of the fruit, or are they only on the surface?

--Alison

o

I think I am having the same problem.

My plants are in 14x12" tubs and I suspect I maybe overwatering.

The fruit shown is 1 1/3" across and also seems to be splitting at the blossom end , seeds exposed.

The other thing to note is most fruits with this problem have it where the fruit is touching the stem or a leaf.

I'll try to post a couple more pics if the system allows.

o

pic2

o

Pic3

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here