Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants and curling leaves

Posted by beckie5326 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 20:36

My apologies if I've double sent this...
The top leaves on one of my tomato plants are curling upwards. It's about 1/4 of the plant.
-I noticed it about a week ago after we had a night with several inches of rain.
-The bottom leaves look fine. They may be a little spindly, or maybe that's my imagination
-When I checked the base of the plant, I found the dirt swarming with black garden ants.
-The leaves are of normal texture
I've spent WAY too long researching this on the internet. Any diseases that I read about seem to start from the bottom. I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you!

Image link: Ants and curling leaves (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants and curling leaves

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 2:05

Is it possible to post a larger image? And perhaps more of the plant?

o

Sorry, I'm new to this. Does this work?

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a404/Beckie5326/DSC07862ab.jpg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a404/Beckie5326/DSC07864a.jpg

o
RE: Ants and curling leaves - one more try

Okay, this is embarassing. On the postitive side, by the time I get Photobucket/Gardenweb figured out, maybe my tomato problems will resolve themselves!

Here is a picture of the tomato plant with upward cupping upper leaves that had lots of ants at the base.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 14:51

Suspicious of weed killer drift, even if just wwed & feed for the lawn.

But perhaps environmental. That said,we've had humongous amounts of rain here recently and none of my plants are doing that.

Do you know the name of the plant? (Some tomatoes react differently than others.) Someone more familiar with the reactions of a wide range of tomatoes may then chime in.

Doubt the ants have anything to do with it, other than they have a nest nearby in the ground.

Oh yes, thanks for the images.

o

Thanks, Jean. It's an Amish Paste tomato. My big concern is if it's sick. It's at the end of a row of a variety of tomatoes, and I don't want it to spread. I'm glad this doesn't scream fungal or viral to you. It would really hurt to have to pull it up!

o

I'm strongly suspecting that it's herbicide drift. The leaves are not turning yellow or spotting. The plant is looking more droopy, though. Here's a picture I found on line. It's pretty close to mine.

http://www.wolfpackweeds.com/php/herbInjury-photo.php?photo=2,4-daminetomato.jpg&crop=Tomato&act=2,4-D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here