Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt or Sugar deposits on leaves.

Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:12

Salt like deposits on tomato leaves? Look up Sugar deposits on tomato leaves and you will discover the world of psyllids. It looks like fine salt to me too, but in searching the net using the word "salt" or "salt-like" deposits didn't find much but aphids, and I am familiar with aphids. Then I searched for suger deposits on tomato leaves and bingo. Gotta get them early.

I just discovered mine today, and I'm trying Spinosad. We'll see.

-Babka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt or Sugar deposits on leaves.

Thanks Babka - good heads-up - appreciated.

A little more info:

AKA - jumping plant lice

One of the most important means of identification is the psyllid sugar that is excreted by the insect and collects on leaves.

Among insecticides available to homeowners, products containing permethrin or esfenvalerate are most effective when used at rates labelled for other potato/tomato insects. Alternately dusts of sulfur can provide control. Regardless, application must be thorough, covering the underside of lower leaves where the insects tend to concentrate. Insecticidal soaps (two percent concentration) may also be useful, although control is more erratic.

Some tomato varieties appear to be partially resistant to potato/tomato psyllids. Increased hairiness of the leaves is reported to make plants less favored by psyllids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato or Tomato Psyllids

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 0:28

I really soaked mine with Spinosad (Organic Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew). Two days later, no sign of any sugar deposits. I will be spraying again as my plants are very thick and I want to be sure to get every inch of the undersides of leaves where those darn psyllids are living.

-Babka

o

The crystalline material is the psyllid version of honeydew.

o

Hi Babka! Good luck with those psyllids...hope they don't cause too much trouble. They don't like hosta, do they??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here