Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these spots TSWV? Please help me

Posted by witchymama (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 21:22

I figured out how to put pictures in the thread. Hoping this helps identify more.

Happened rapidly after a few days of rain and no sun. Affecting almost all of my 50 plants, different varieties. It looks like the same spots are on the new growth as well but I cannot be 100% sure. I wasn't able to mulch them yet because the day after I planted we got the rain. However whatever it is is also on the plants still waiting in containers. However its the same potting soil used in both.

I've cut off most of the affected leaves. I've sprayed the plants with Daconil today but I'd really like to know if I should get my hopes up or not.

I planted these from seed months ago and I would hate to lose them. They're only a foot tall so far..still babies, some only seedlings and not even close to producing anything. Do I have to scratch them all?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these spots TSWV? Please help me

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 22:43

I am no expert....not even a little bit close to being one. However...the second and third pictures look just like my seedlings did a few weeks ago after we got a week and a half of drizzle-y, damp, cold and cloudy days. They grew out of it in about 2 weeks once the weather stabilized.

:) Donna

o

Oh I'm hoping thats all it is! Aside from some lower leaves that got rain soaked, and others that are bird pecked, they don't seem to be drooping or anything. Its just those blackish spots on the top and bottom pictures that are the most concerning to me.

o

Updated to say that the plants are looking much better after pruning the affected leaves. After a long rain, the lower leaves start to take on the appearance of discoloration. I think from just too little sun and too much rain.

What I thought was bird damage however has turned out to be SLUG damage. Ugh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here