Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nootay

verticillium wilt??

nootay
13 years ago

This is my first time posting here. I have been reading these forums for several years and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the useful information!

I have about 6 different types of tomatoes this year. I cant remember all the types, but i remember mr stripey, ariey (not sure how they are spelled), july 4th, brandywine, and roma. There is another red variety and a pink one too, but i cant remember the names. Anyways, all of my plants are starting to wilt. It started with just the new growth on the tips, but some of the plants are almost completely wilted. The mr. stripey plants are completely wilted and one plant has no blooms. All of the others have a bunch of blooms, and many have large tomatoes growing. The July 4th ones have already produced some tomatoes and have the least amount of wilt of them all. From what ive read it sounds like verticillium wilt, but figured id post here and see what everyone says.

I have been out of town a good bit, but have watered thoroughly with soaker hoses. The tomatoes grew quick between my trips and i couldnt keep them all inside their cages. Below are pictures:

{{gwi:1298250}}
{{gwi:1298253}}
{{gwi:1298255}}
{{gwi:1298256}}
{{gwi:1298258}}
{{gwi:1298260}}
{{gwi:1298262}}

Sorry they are so big. Figured i wouldnt resize them much so you can see some detail.

Adam

Comments (4)

• torquill
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like Verticillium to me, based on the pictures... V wilt tends to cause yellowing before the whole plant wilts like that, and these are still green all over.

It looks like some of the leaves have gone all skinny and twisty, sort of like corkscrews; am I seeing that right? They're still green, but they've sort of rolled up and elongated into ribbons, then curled.

Have they been anywhere near herbicide use of any kind? Did your neighbor spray Roundup, or fertilize a lawn nearby with weed and feed? Did you use lawn clippings in your compost, or as mulch? Is there any way something could have drifted their way? Tomatoes are especially sensitive to 2,4-D, which is a common herbicide, and they tend to get symptoms rather like this. Roundup causes something slightly different, but still similar. Either one would stop the plants in their tracks.

If it's herbicide damage, plants will either stall and then recover after a couple of weeks, or they'll steadily decline and die. Which one it is depends on the severity of the exposure. (The good news is that, unlike Verticillium, it doesn't stick around for years.)

--Alison

• jean001
    13 years ago

If herbicide damage -- which I think it is -- it's more than likely 2,4-D. It's in any number of broadleaf weed killers.

Roundup damage during the growing season is quite different; the newest part of the leaf (the base) acquires a pale to yellow color.

Perhaps someone decided to "help" you manage the weeds while you were on vacation?

• nootay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! Its definitely like you said, kind of wilted/twisted.

now that you mention it, i believe my neighbor did spray weed and feed. He had a sprayer attached to the back of his mower, so its possible that is the cause. i cant remember if this started before that was sprayed or not. The wind generally blows from my yard over to his yard. And it seems that its only the tomatoes that are affected. On one side of the tomatoes are green beans, the other side is peppers. Neither seem to have any wilting issues. Would a herbicide affect tomatoes more than peppers or green beans?

The only thing i have sprayed on the tomatoes is eight and a fungicide. I sprayed eight after the wilting started as i thought something might have got in to the plant.

• jean001
    13 years ago

You don't need wind to move the spray from one place to another. All that's needed is turbulence when the spray is applied. Then, too, some weed killers volatilize when temps exceed 80 to 85.

Further, the damage in a garden can look strange in that it can skip from plant to plant, leaving others in good conditions. It all depends upon atmospheric conditions.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022