Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
many tiny white tissue-paper-fiber-like bugs

Posted by philly_gardener 6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 21:37

This year is the first year I grow tomatos. I have a Big Beef or a Better Boy. There are green tomatos growing on the branches and I am happy.

Recently I see many tiny white tissue-paper-fiber-like bugs on my tomato leaves, many of them. They seems to be harmless right now. What are they and how should I get rid of them?

Also some leaves near the bottom of my tomato are turning yellow. What should I do to fix it?

Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: many tiny white tissue-paper-fiber-like bugs

I got those too...not sure if they are mites or whatever. You could try washing them off with a stream of water or use a mixture of soapy water (some say use Dawn...others say Ivory). I had a bottle of Safer insecticidal soap that I used...they all look dead now and I washed the plant down good the other morning with water.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 0:54

Perhaps the cast skins of aphids.

o

If they are dead -- sort of skeletal and not moving if you touch them, they are probably moulted aphid skins -- in which case you have aphids and the Safer soap routine will get rid of them.

If they have wings and fly away when you poke them, they are probably white flies. Safer soap will help, but so will looking on the underside of the leaves of your plants -- if you see small rings of white powder, that's where white flies are laying their eggs. I gently rub those white rings and any little bug things around them to squish them -- that way you kill the larval and egg stages.

If you have a lot of white flies, putting a yellow sticky card next to your plants may help -- White flies are apparently very attracted to the color yellow and most garden and hardware stores sell sticky cards for them: they are yellow cards, some 4X7" in size covered in a very very sticky stuff that y;ou hang or put on a stick near the plants you want to protect. The adult white flies fly over to the color yellow and try to land and then get stuck on the sticky stuff.

I have one card between each of my tomato plants and between those and gently rubbing off any white circles I see on the plants, I can keep the white flies in check.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here