Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (3)

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Probably Early Blight. It's quite common and starts as small blackish spots on leaves.

Remove the dying leaves, use a garden fungicide once per week to keep it from spreading.

• burwoodbelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have these mulched with pine needles.Is that what is wrong with them?Does anyone else mulch with them?
    The picture is what they look like.
    Pat

• KraZbuderfly
    12 years ago

RE: Please Look.

"Posted by burwoodbelle 6-7 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 16:36

Would someone please look at my post(Whats My Problem)and REPLY THANK YOU .
    PAT"

Pat, it does appear that lionheart replied right here in your original post with a likely diagnosis of "Early Blight". As far as the pine needles go, in my experience they are unnecessary for the healthy growth of tomato, and based on my research of blight thus far mulching will do nothing to stop the virus from attacking the plant. I am using no mulch at all and may be having signs of the same problem. I think your best move would be to go with your gut. Remove the pine needles if you think it is making it worse. I am not much for chems, but it was recommended by lionheart to use a fungicide to keep it from spreading. Personally with my limited knowledge, I would take my loss at this point and burn the plant to keep it from spreading to other healthy specimens. In fact, I wrote a post a few days ago myself asking about possible early blight on my tomato seedlings, and no one has yet been able to reply there either. So i am going to take matters into my own hands, thru use of my observations, my research, and my gut feeling about what to do with my own babes. I know new problems in gardening can be very frustrating, but don't be afraid to trust yourself. And when in doubt about disease, take all environmentally-safe and necessary precautions to prevent it from spreading. GW is usually my first place to look for answers, but we have to remember that everyone has a life outside of GW and can't spend every waking hour watching for us newbs to be posting about the problems we're having. The internet is a great tool full of info and I plan to use that along with my gut when it comes to disease and troubleshooting other problems. I know this is not the reply you were hoping for, but I wish you good luck with your gardening. And remember that first hand experience with problems is the best tool to learn how to solve them.

I know I have a lot of learning ahead of me! ;)

~KraZ