Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pete978

Persimmon with CRUD - Pull 'em?

pete978
17 years ago

I have two Persimmon plants that have CRUD. None of my other varieties have show any sign of it, except my Early Girls did seem to have a touch of it while still indoors. Anyway, the Persimmon seedlings (free from TGS) started out OK, and then faltered and the tell tale brown tips of CRUD were evident a few weeks before planting outdoors. Curiously, even with close contact with my other plants (literally touching), including Paul Robeson, Stupice, Balls Beefsteak, Brandywine, Better Boy, Black Cherry and others, they all look fine.

So, now my plants have been in the ground for a little over two weeks. We had tons of rain in early June, but some warm weather recently and the plants are starting to take off - lots of green vigorous growth at the top. But, the CRUD remains on the Persimmon, including probably the third youngest leaf at the top. They have been sprayed with Daconil a few times and most of the impacted leaves look fine; they just have brown tips.

I heard that CRUD can be outgrown, but I am having my doubts and leaning towards pulling my 2 Persimmon plants. Thoughts?

I was hoping to see some large orange fruits in my future.

Has anyone else found Persimmon to be more vulnerable to CRUD/early blight?

Comments (5)