Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon with CRUD - Pull 'em?

Posted by pete978 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 21:41

I have two Persimmon plants that have CRUD. None of my other varieties have show any sign of it, except my Early Girls did seem to have a touch of it while still indoors. Anyway, the Persimmon seedlings (free from TGS) started out OK, and then faltered and the tell tale brown tips of CRUD were evident a few weeks before planting outdoors. Curiously, even with close contact with my other plants (literally touching), including Paul Robeson, Stupice, Balls Beefsteak, Brandywine, Better Boy, Black Cherry and others, they all look fine.

So, now my plants have been in the ground for a little over two weeks. We had tons of rain in early June, but some warm weather recently and the plants are starting to take off - lots of green vigorous growth at the top. But, the CRUD remains on the Persimmon, including probably the third youngest leaf at the top. They have been sprayed with Daconil a few times and most of the impacted leaves look fine; they just have brown tips.

I heard that CRUD can be outgrown, but I am having my doubts and leaning towards pulling my 2 Persimmon plants. Thoughts?

I was hoping to see some large orange fruits in my future.

Has anyone else found Persimmon to be more vulnerable to CRUD/early blight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon with CRUD - Pull 'em?

I tossed my Persimmons before setting out because they showed brown tips from the first true leaves. At 8 weeks they still had it and I didn't want to take a chance.

o

Sorry -- but.... what is CRUD? I checked via the forum search but everyone who refers to it seems to know what it is..... What is CRUD? Thanks.....

o

CRUD is "Carolyn's Rare Unknown Disease". No one's been able to figure out quite what it is, despite a pathologist from Cornell having a go at it. We're pretty sure it's fungal, but it only seriously affects young indoor seedlings.

I'm still not quite clear, Pete -- is the CRUD still actively spreading? That would be unusual, as you mentioned, since it tends to go away once the plants are outside and growing. I wonder whether it goes away with strict application of daconil, as in applying it "to the letter" while removing the affected parts of the leaves.

As for pulling them... I don't really see any reason to, if they're otherwise growing okay. The risk with fungal leaf diseases is that they may cripple the plant, and possibly splash it onto plants next to them; you're not endangering your whole garden by keeping them. And it might be interesting to see whether they do eventually pull out of it.

Kellogg's Breakfast is the other one I can think of that has a huge problem with CRUD... what is it with the orange ones?

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here