Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Stem cut off

Posted by chocochris z5 Chgo IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 21:55

Hi,
This evening I just noticed that my young tomato plants are missing some leaf stems. They look like they were cut off and were laying right next to the plant. One of my plants only has two leaves left so I'm really concerned. I tried looking up the symptom and found cutworm - but the main stem is not cut off at the soil line, just the leaf stem, Colorado potato beetle or hornworm as possibilities but the descriptions did not exactly match what I observed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any advice.

Take care,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Stem cut off

• Posted by cbars z5b6a MO (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 8:13

Birds, like Blue Jays, will cut leaves or whole plants and use them for nesting material.

Build a wire cage around the plant to help protect it. I use old hanging flower baskets. Works well. You just need to protect it until it starts putting on new growth. Birds seem to leave them alone once they start growing in earnest.

Good Luck,

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here