Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is killing my tomatoes?

Posted by ehsteve (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 22:11

I have four tomato plants in containers, two are having problems with leaves near the bottom turning yellow and dying, one still has new growth occurring near the top but the other one has stopped growing new leaves and the leaves at the top half are small. Other than that the plants look pretty healthy, at least to my untrained eye.

But every day there are more yellow leaves at the bottom and as I remove them the foliage is really starting to thin out.

I had a bit of an aphid problem but in the last week a bunch of ladybug eggs have hatched and the plants are swarming with ladybug larvae so the aphids are vanishing pretty quickly.

The tomatoes are in containers in a Raybo 3-2-1 mix.

Does anyone have any idea what is killing them and if/how I can stop it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is killing my tomatoes?

Yellowing of the leaves could be too much water. I can see water rings under the pots. Soil should be kept moist but not soaked. The roots need to breathe. Water early in the day, never in the evening. It could also be insufficient sunlight. They need 6-8 hours per day. Also, try spacing the pots out a little more so each plant gets good air circulation and not touching each other. Prune off the suckers to open up the plants to more light and air. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here