Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsuslickster

Help: Sprayed Tomato Plants with Soap......

lsuslickster
16 years ago

Hi, I sprayed my beautiful tomato plants with soapy water - to avoid using chemicals - and my tomatoes suddenly look terrible. The leaves are look like they are dying and black spots are covering the leaves and stems. Somebody, please help!

Comments (7)

• sheri_nwok
    16 years ago

Lsuslickster, I am not a pro gardener, but I know the soap sprays are supposed to be made of a liquid non-phospate SOAP, not detergent, detergent can hurt your plants. Okiedawn just answered that question for me in the oklahoma gardening forum, if you want to go read that, it is posted for may 31. She recommended using dr. bronner's soap. Maybe if you rinse your plants and water them really well, they may come out of it. Good luck! Sheri

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Sounds like the spray mixture was too strong. How much soap did you use? I use 1 T to a gallon of water with no problems but stronger mixes can harm the plants. I also only lightly mist the plant, not drench it, and leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse the plant well. Like sheri said, I'd try washing off the plants well and they should recover.

• lsuslickster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you guys, rinsed the plants and they are looking better - still much worse than before but all the new growth looks fine. Next time I'll try a weaker mixture.

I used a T to a quart of water and covered thouroughly - oops.

• bobbijoh
    2 years ago

I did the same thing i am so mad at myself! i wanted to kill aphids and my plants look horrible. I mixed according to the basic directions only to notice afterwards that it was different for veggies. i am hoping they come back. They were beautiful! We had 2 days of rain so I-hope that helps.

• HU-157983645
    2 years ago

@bobbijoh

Did your plants recover!?!?!?!?!

(We had white flies and I obviously had the spray too concentrated and its started to destroy some leaves :(

• catherinet (5IN)
    2 years ago

It's also important after this happens to water the ground below them really well too. (several times). Seems like it wouldn't be good for the roots in large quantities either. Also, I don't think you need to saturate the leaves with the soap solution.....just a bit of a fine mist.

• Ann Jenkins
    last year

I did the same thing and I am just sick. it rained alot that afternoon and the next day. I had beautiful plants with tomatoes on them and now they look awful. Will they keep growing and do okay????ANyone know if they will keep growing???