Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Sprayed Tomato Plants with Soap......

Posted by lsuslickster Louisiana (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 22:20

Hi, I sprayed my beautiful tomato plants with soapy water - to avoid using chemicals - and my tomatoes suddenly look terrible. The leaves are look like they are dying and black spots are covering the leaves and stems. Somebody, please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Sprayed Tomato Plants with Soap......

Lsuslickster, I am not a pro gardener, but I know the soap sprays are supposed to be made of a liquid non-phospate SOAP, not detergent, detergent can hurt your plants. Okiedawn just answered that question for me in the oklahoma gardening forum, if you want to go read that, it is posted for may 31. She recommended using dr. bronner's soap. Maybe if you rinse your plants and water them really well, they may come out of it. Good luck! Sheri

o

Sounds like the spray mixture was too strong. How much soap did you use? I use 1 T to a gallon of water with no problems but stronger mixes can harm the plants. I also only lightly mist the plant, not drench it, and leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse the plant well. Like sheri said, I'd try washing off the plants well and they should recover.

o

Thank you guys, rinsed the plants and they are looking better - still much worse than before but all the new growth looks fine. Next time I'll try a weaker mixture.

I used a T to a quart of water and covered thouroughly - oops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here