Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlcgardener

Yellow leaves and now brown spots on leaves!

mlcgardener
9 years ago

Hello,

I am a newbie tomato gardener and just a week into the growing season am already having issues! I am in Massachussets and I started these plants from seed in late February. They are supersweet100 and Baxters bush. I planted them outside in mid May in a raised bed. I decided to make the bed a modified hugelkulture/lasagna bed. So it has rotting wood on the bottom, then a layer of composted manure, grass clippings, dirt and then the top layer is what I thought was good quality garden soil mixed with mushroom compost. I'm not sure if any I this matters but since I am a total newbie I thought I would give as much information as possible. About a week ago I started noticing the bottom leaves on my plants getting yellowish, I trimmed some of those leaves off. Afterwards I noticed a lot of fruit flies on the soil and on the plants so I sprayed them with insecticidal soap a few times. Then I noticed some brown spots on the leaves. If you zoom into the picture you can see some white on the spots and leaves as well. I googled it and it seems like some sort of fungus to me but I'm not sure. I cut off all the leaves that had the spots but I keep seeing more spots. It started on one side of the bed and it seems to be spreading (the yellowing and brown spots). My bed is in full sun although now that the trees had filled in some of the bed is in partial shade. The interesting thing to me is that the ones in partial shade are perfectly healthy while the disease seemed to start on the side that gets full sun. I also did a home soil test and the soil has a ph of 7 and was low in nitrogen and phosphate so I bought and applied some fertilizer (organic). It has been two days since I applied it so it's probably too soon to tell a difference but I need some help diagnosing what's wrong. I really wanted to grow these organically but I'm desperate to save them right now and am open to using whatever works. What do you think it is? What can I do to fix them? Thank you for your help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert