Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Sudden and dramatic tomato wilting

Posted by frankie40 Southeast PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 23:14

Hello,

My tomato plants looked beautiful -- 4 feet tall, busy with lots of tomatoes. Then, suddenly, they wilted. The entire plant wilted -- 4 of 8 plants! AGH! It's been raining here non stop and I thought that they were drowning. The leaves are green, no yellow at all, and and are just absolutely limp. Please tell me what to do, what to look for...is there anything I can do to save my crop? The garden is so soggy that one plant fell over even though it was staked well with a cage. I've been all over the internet trying to figure out what the problem could be. Please help me if you can. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Sudden and dramatic tomato wilting

sounds like they are drowning from all the rain. you might want to dig a drainage ditch to the side of your garden to help remove some of the water saturation. Some people will install a drainage pipe where excess will seep into the pipe and away from the plants. Are the fruit splitting?

o
RE: HELP! Sudden and dramatic tomato wilting

I just started posting on GardenWeb and saw your note. Sounds like bacterial wilt. I just had it happen to one of my very promising Evergreen plants, which was sitting at the end of a row. We've had lots of rain and tropical type weather here in NYC recently, and reading about this syndrome indicates the weather is a factor, but that the bacteria do reside in the soil. As hard as it was to do, I took out the plant and also dug around to get as much root matter as possible out of the ground as it can linger for years. Hope you are doing OK with your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here