Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reticulated Beetle - Cupes capitatus

Posted by woodenzoo z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 23:58

I believe that I have quite a few of these around (Or something very simular). I've tried googling and only came up with pictures and genus and latin names and such... lol Could anyone tell me in simple english if they are harmful to plants?
Thanks!
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reticulated Beetle - Cupes capitatus

In simple English: no, not that I can tell.

Cupes capitatus is uncommon in the United States, but the lack of pest information out there says quite a bit. I also came across a reference that says that the larvae are wood-borers, which are usually a problem only for large woodpiles and occasionally houses. Given its scarcity here, I'd say it's no threat to anything.

It does look a little like some of the longhorned beetles like Sawyers, so you may not have a true Cupes... but all of the longhorns are borers of one type or another. If you're concerned that it might be one that could threaten mature trees, like the tightly-controlled Asian Longhorned Beetle, take one in to your local Agriculture Department office. They'll know what the bad guys look like.

--Alison

o
RE: Reticulated Beetle - Cupes capitatus

I didn't even think to see what area they may be found...
I'll try to quit worrying about them when they're on my veggies. (Don't seem to be causing any trouble! Whatever they are!)

Thanks for the info Alison!
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here