Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upper leaves turning white-yellow from center

Posted by edfeingold 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 0:28

I have 6 giant Roma tomato plants, planted early June, now 6-7 feet tall with green fruit emerging. I applied a newspaper/straw mulch covering three weeks ago to stop a weed problem. Earlier this week, the upper leaflets of one branch of the largest tomato plant started turning white then yellow from the center (stem) near the yougnest leaves. The discoloration then extended to the edge of the leaf before the leaves die.

this has afflicted the top of only one shoot of the tomato plant. I clipped it off and noticed some aphids and small red bugs under the leaves.

So here's my question. Is this likely to be some incurable Curly Top virus, aphid damage or just nitrogen dificiency due to the new newspaper mulch just starting to break down. HELP! I don't want to lose my best plant(s).

-Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upper leaves turning white-yellow from center

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 14:27

My first thought would be drift from a weed killer containing glyphosate. (The most commonly used product of that kind is Roundup.)

I can be more certain if you post an image.

o

Yup. I have used both Roundup and 2,4-d based lawn herbacide recently. The latter was sprayed about 15 feet from the crop. After some research, I found pics that look exactly like the damage I have. 2,4-d is probably the culprit. Aparently 2,d-4 (ester) based herbacides can take on a gaseous form after application in hot weather which is probably what spread to the tomatoes. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Lesson learned, keep away from cheap spray-on lawn herbcides and certainly don't use them mid-season.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 3:34

You wrote: "2,4-d is probably the culprit."

Not so. 2,4-D makes cells grow excessively. See this image from Cornell
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomWlt/2_4_D_Tom.htm

Your description matches glyphosate damage. See this image from Clemson University
http://www.clemson.edu/public/regulatory/plant_prob_clinic/fact_sheet_folder/herbicide_damage.html

You also wrote: "Lesson learned, keep away from cheap spray-on lawn herbcides ..."

Not necessarily so. Any herbicide can drift on the breeze or even just because of the turbulence from the spray. (A breeze is anything that makes the leaves rustle, even the slightest bit.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson image glyphosate damage

o

...even the slightest whiff of RoundUp, near tomato plants will cause that.

o

I just noticed the same problem on my young tomato transplants. Thanks for the photo. In +30 years of organic gardening I'd never seen the symptoms, so was stumped on what the problem was. Some of the younger plants have already died.
A few weeks ago I sprayed the perimeter of the yard (on a still day, no less!) with Roundup to kill poison ivy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here