Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time tomato grower - Problems starting

Posted by flatlander_blues none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 1:01

Hello,

I'm growing several types of tomatoes for my first time - Brandywine, Black Krim, Black Prince, and San Marzano. Leaves seem to be showing signs of infection/infestation, or at best stress, except the San Marzanos. They're all right next to each other so it's just a matter of time with them.

A little background: My garden is way too crowded - lesson learned for next year. I have my garden set-up on a drip sytem with a timer so over the top watering or backsplash not happening here. The peas in my garden did not do well and I suspect ultimately died due to fusarium wilt. For some reason they are still producing (nothing worthwhile), so I left them in against my better judgement. Lastly, as with many areas, it's been VERY hot and dry in IL this summer; however, I've had the entire garden on a timer so it has been watered consistently. Oh yeah, and I'm due for a fertilization tomorrow...

That all being said, today when I was out in the garden I noticed that some leaves have started to deveolop white-ish or yellow coloring, along with some browning and die-off down below. Outside of real mild cracking, no fruit has not been affected at this time.

Any idea what's going on here? Could it just be stress due to the heat, bugs, and/or fertilization needed? Possibility of fusarium wilt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time tomato grower - Problems starting

Here is a picture of some of the die-off. What looks like a dead stem on the left hand side is actually a stick I've used for staking. On second thought, maybe that's not a good idea in the future as they are likely to carry diseases?

o
RE: First time tomato grower - Problems starting

One more look at a not so happy leaf...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here