Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contaminated Manure? What to use instead?

Posted by greenhaven N Illinois 4b-5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 1:08

Last year and this year my tomatoes have suffered herbicide damage, and it doesn't appear that we will get any good fruit again this year. Last year I built two raised beds with untreated lumber, coated them with linseed oil, then filled them with bagged top soil and well-composted manure from my very own horse and manure pile. This year I did the same with two more beds.

I have never, until last year, experienced this problem before, although I am not an experienced veggie-grower. Ornamentals and native flora are more my bag. When 8 out of ten tomatoes this year showed herbicide damage I first thought drift, since we live close to crop fields and the neighboring prairie sprayed out parts of their property. But two tomatoes look fine, if small, and these are the ones planted in LAST years bed. Now I suspect systemic exposure, and that maybe the horse was eating contaminated hay.

I learned right here on this forum about how sensitive tomatoes are to the herbicides, but now what do I do? It seems ridiculous that I cannot even use all that manure to feed my garden. What non-synthetic amendment can I use if not the manure? And how long before I can plant tomatoes again in this year's beds?

I am going to pull all the 'maters tomorrow. :o( I guess I will be buying them this year instead of growing them, no biggie I suppose. But my garden is constantly discouraging me.

I need a hug.

And some advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contaminated Manure? What to use instead?

I'm sorry to hear that your tomatoes got herbicide damage. Ours did too at a community garden. We determined that it was the soil we used that was composed of some contaminated compost. Specifically we have 2,4-d exposure.

I've heard that it sometimes takes up to a couple years for the herbicide to become inactive in compost. If you want to grow veggies out of the beds with the herbicide, you might have to grow other more herbicide-tolerant veggies until the soil is naturally ammended.

Good luck!

o

That is sort of what I was thinking, incorporate that compost into a larger-scale garden we planned to stage over a few years, but that will let the chems to deactivate.

I don't know what else to use for amendments, though, if I can't count on my own manure.

o

Yeah that is a tough situation. I just recently heard about using Activated Charcoal to speed up the process of herbicide decomposition. Look into that to see if it could potentially help absorb some of the herbicides.

o

Thank you, tomatofiend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here