Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove catfaced tomatoes or not?

Posted by Riff z7 NorthernVA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 1:11

I have two "Rose" heirloom tomato plants. I am not very experienced with tomatos, and have never grown this type before. There are several quite large green fruits that I believe exibit some catfacing: tan areas and small holes in the blossom end of the tomato.

Will these fruits be (partially) edible if allowed to ripen, or should I remove these so the plant can use its nutrients elsewhere? Advice appreciated!

--Riff.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove catfaced tomatoes or not?

Unless they look really disfigured and the holes etc. look very deep and open (in which case disease/bugs could get in) I'd leave it. They'll still be perfectly yummy. Just don't save seeds from those particular tomatos. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: catfacing

o

I have a lot of catfaced tomatoes this year due to unseasonably cool temperatures during some critical times. Most of them just look a little weird, but will be perfectly edible if they make it to ripening without being ruined by disease or bugs (which has happened to some, in which case I of course removed them from the plant).

A little curious about your wording, are the "holes" in the blossom end more like indentations covered with skin or scarring, or open to the inside flesh? If the holes are open, they will probably attract disease/insects pretty quickly.

Shaila

o

When the maters are really rolling in, I'll remove the very small catfaced toms. I leave them if the get any size. Usually the catfaced toms are early ones.

o

• Posted by Riff z7 NorthernVA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 19:57

Huh! I posted a reply to this a day or two ago, and it appears to have been lost!

Thanks all, for your comments. After reading flowersandthing's link, I think mine were caused by cool temperatures, but in any case they do seem to be the early ones. Since they've now grown pretty big, I think I'll leave them and cross my fingers; I don't care how they look, as long as they taste good!

Sunflower, the holes look like, well, holes, but only a little deeper than they are wide. They don't seem to be open to the inside flesh, as far as I can tell. I poked a slim twig in, and it went in less than 1/8 of an inch maybe (though I didn't have a ruler with me). So far I don't see any insect activity.

Thanks!

--Riff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here